Owning an Android device with root access is a great advantage in many ways. Rooting make your device eligible to choose from thousands of performance and productivity enhancing apps, tools, mods and custom ROMs. Moreover, it lets you backup the system files, app and game data and even the full firmware using a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP.
Earlier we shared a rooting method for the Sony Xperia Z C6602 & C6603 on specific firmware with the help of Easy Rooting ToolKit. Quite recently Sony released the a new firmware update for the Xperia Z that bumped the firmware version to Firmware Version 10.1.1.A.1.253. If you have already updated your device to this version, the older method of rooting will no longer work on it. In case your Xperia Z is still on the older firmware and you are unable to get the latest update due to the root, you can download the complete firmware from below and install it manually.
XDA member [NUT] has done an excellent job by releasing the pre-rooted 10.1.1.A.1.253 firmware with XZDualRecovery (CWM 22.214.171.124 & TWRP 126.96.36.199). Thus it is a stock firmware that has been modified to give you root access on your Xperia Z. Since it is already rooted, it saves a lot of time, effort and risk. Just install the firmware and your phone is not only upgraded but also rooted at the same time!
Before you proceed, here are a few things you need to do-
- Download Flash Tool: Download Flashtool for Sony Xperia device and install it on your computer:
- A custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP.
- Download the firmware files.
How to Update Xperia Z C6602/03 to 10.1.1.A.1.253:
- Install flash tool on your computer and reboot it after installation. Installing the tool will create a new directory called “Flashtool” under Program Files folder on your C Drive (on Windows).
- Copy “C6602.flashable.253.zip” (or “C6602.flashable.253.zip”, depending on your device model) to the external SD card of your phone.
- Turn on USB Debugging mode on your device from Settings> Developer Options.
- Copy “Xperia_Z_10.1.1.A.1.253_C6602-stripped.ftf” (or “Xperia_Z_10.1.1.A.1.253_C6603-stripped.ftf”, depending on your device model) inside the Flashtool/firmwares folder.
- Before doing anything, do not forget to backup your current firmware using CWM or TWRP.
- Now run the Sony Flashtool and flash “Xperia_Z_10.1.1.A.1.253_C6602-stripped.ftf”.
- When it is flashed, reboot your Xperia Z into recovery mode. To do that, turn off the device and press Volume UP + Power buttons together. When you see the LED light, press the Volume Up key consecutively till you see the CWM or TWRP recovery menu.
- Select “install zip from sdcard” option and install “C6602.flashable.253.zip”.
- Finally, return back to recovery menu and select “reboot system now”.
Your device will boot now and will take a little more time than usual. It has now been updated to firmware version 10.1.1.A.1.253 with root access.