The bigger version of the Galaxy Tab S with 10.5-inch display have already been receiving the Marshmallow update for a few weeks now. We have already published detailed tutorials on installing the new update on Galaxy Tab S SM-T800 and SM-T805.
Following the Android 6.0.1 update for the above-mentioned variants of the Tab S, Samsung has now started rolling out the Marshmallow update for the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700 (WiFi). If you own this device, it’s your turn to taste the sweet flavor of Marshmallow. The owners of the Tab S 8.4 in countries like Switzerland, Canada, USA, and Korea have already been getting the OTA update notification for the new update.
If you haven’t received the OTA prompt for some reason, or if you belong to some other country than those mentioned above, our today’s guide for just for you. Below, we’re going to describe how you can install the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware on your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700 (WiFi) manually using Odin.
Features of the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update
Before you install the Marshmallow firmware on your Galaxy Tab S 8.4, take a look at some of the major highlights of the update.
- Marshmallow brings better user experience, improved performance, and enhanced security features.
- The new app drawer has a new quick scrolling feature.
- Google Now on Tap can now be easily enabled by pressing and holding the Home button on the Tab S.
- Better battery performance through efficient power management. The new Doze and App Standby features that shut down most background services and your network connection when your device is idle.
- Now, you can now manage apps permissions. You can turn off the app permissions you don’t want an app to have.
- Besides, there are many other minor tweaks and changes in the user interface.
We’ve taken all care in describing the preparations to make and installation steps. Please, follow the tutorial carefully and don’t hesitate to clear your doubts if you have any. Follow the guide at your own risk. Do not try these firmwares on any other model of the Tab S than SM-T700.
Download Marshmallow Firmware for Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700
Note: Despite the fact that we’ve mentioned country names where the specific firmwares are meant for, they can be installed on any Galaxy Tab S 8.4 with model number SM-T700 irrespective of country. For example, even if you are from the UK, you can install the firmware for Switzerland.
Firmware details | Galaxy Tab S 10.5
- Model number: SM-T700
- OS Version: Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- PDA: T700KXU1CPH6
- Phone: T700XXU1CPH5
- Release Date: September 09, 2016
USA (Cellular South): T700XXU1CPH5_T700AUT1CPH5_XAR.zip
More firmwares and mirrors will be added as soon as they are available.
- Download the firmware from above.
- Download Odin 3.10.7. If you are Mac user, you can use the Java version found ou our Odin download page.
- Install the latest USB Drivers on your PC. Skip this step if you have them already installed on your computer.
- Also, go to Settings> Developers options in your device and enable USB Debugging.
- Backup your data and installed apps as a precaution because sometimes you need to perform a hard reset after installing a new firmware to fix boot loop.
- Ensure your Galaxy Tab S’s battery is amply charged before starting the software installation.
Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700
Now here’s how you can install any stock/official firmware on your Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4.
- Extract the firmware (zip) file using a zip extractor program. Inside the extracted folder, you’ll get the actual firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Extract the Odin.zip file, open the extracted folder and launch Odin 3.10.7.exe as an administrator.
- Boot your Galaxy Tab S into the Download mode: turn it off and then press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons simultaneously for about 2-3 seconds. Keep the keys pressed until you see the warning screen with yellow exclamation mark. Now release the keys and then press the Volume Up key to get into the Download Mode.
- Connect your tablet to the PC using the stock USB cable that came with your phone. When your device is detected by the computer, the ID:COM port in Odin will turn blue and you’ll see “Added!!” in Odin’s log box.
- Now click the AP button in Odin and add the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Click the Start button to initiate the installation. and wait patiently while the firmware is being installed.
- When the firmware installation is complete, you will get PASS! message on Odin and your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 will reboot automatically.
Please note that the first boot after installing a new firmware takes longer than usual. Please keep calm and wait for at least 10 minutes. The device will boot up and you will be able to enjoy the newly installed Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700.
If your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 remains stuck on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S splash screen even after 10 minutes, try a data factory reset via stock recovery to fix the issue using the following tutorial:
Got a question, or need help? Please, let us know!