Samsung has just started rolling out the Android 4.1.2 Update for the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100. Did you get this update? If yes, here is a handy tutorial that would help you root you device if you wish to. If you have not yet received the Android 4.1.2 update, install the firmware now manually from this link.
After the 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update, your device will be blessed with a lot of new features that would certainly enhance your experience with your Tab 2 7.0 P3100. By rooting your device, you can make it more powerful and enjoy more freedom to customize it in a number of ways. In fact, rooting is a very common and desirable term in Android for the advanced users who wish to have full access to the system files of their device. Having rooted you Tab 2 7.0 P3100, you will be able to install a third-party custom ROM or mod and install several useful apps that require root access to be installed on your device,
Preparations before Rooting:
- Download the CF-Root file for the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 and extract the zip on your desktop: CF-Auto-Root-espressorf-espressorfxx-gtp3100.zip
- Download Odin3 flasher program: Odin3-v3.07.zip (extract the zip).
- Download and install the Samsung USB drivers on your computer, if you have not installed it yet: Samsung USB Drivers
- Charge your Tab’s battery to at least 60% level.
- Though rooting you Tab 2 will not affect any of the files or data stored on your device, it is still recommended that you backup all important data such as contacts, messages, etc. Backup your contacts, call-logs, messages, APNs, bookmarks, calendar, apps & games using these nice free apps.
- Turn on USB Debugging mode on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100: Settings> Developer Options> USB Debugging> check the box.
Rooting and Install CWM on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100:
Having made the above preparations, you can now move on to rooting your device. Now you are jut a minute or two away from rooting your Tab 2.
- Turn off the device and boot it into Download Mode: press and hold Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Now open the Odin folder that you extracted and run the .exe file therein.
- Connect your Tab 2 7.0 P3100 to the computer by a USB cable.
- You will see the ID:COM port at Odin turning to green when the connection between the device and computer is established.
- Now click on the PDA button on Odin and select the .tar file found inside the “CF-Auto-Root-espressorf-espressorfxx-gtp3100.zip“.
- Make sure that only the “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” options are checked on Odin.
- Okay, now hit the “Start” button on Odin and wait till the insecure Kernel is flashed to your device. It might take a few seconds to finish the installation.
- When the installation is done, your Tab will reboot automatically and it will be rooted.
To enter the new CWM Recovery on your tab, turn off the device, then press and hold Volume Up + Power buttons simultaneously for a few seconds till you see blue text on a black background.
To verify the root, look for an app called “SuperSU” on your device. Additionally, you can download a free app called “Root Checker” from the market and run it to check if the root was successful. If it is verified, enjoy your rooted Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100.