It all began with rumors the last year that Nokia had secretly been recruiting developers to work on an Android phone. The news was a sensation at the time and after that we kept hearing about an Android phone by Nokia under development now and then. We’re just about to forget about a possible Android phone from Nokia after the company was occupied by Microsoft, when new rumors began creeping in. Finally, it was at the MWC, Barcelona the last week when all rumors came true and we saw the first authentic glimpse of the Nokia X.
The Nokia X is now a reality and, even before the device has been released, we have another real news. XDA forum member Kashamalaga has discovered that one of the most popular root exploits for Android devices, is working fine on the Nokia X. As you know, the Nokia X has a home launcher that is very similar to the one seen on its Windows phones and it has its own apps store. Also, the device does not have Google apps preinstalled as we are used to see on Android devices.
As we already mentioned, Kashamalaga managed to root his Nokia X and with his efforts, was able to install the Google home launcher and other Google apps on it. Now, this is really a great news for those who are waiting to get the Nokia X. With root access gained on the device, it is now possible to do all sorts of customization and tweaking on it.
How to Root Nokia X:
Rooting an Android device using Framaroot does not require a tutorial as such, yet here are the steps:
- Download the latest version of Framaroot app: Click Here
- Copy the APK file to your Nokia X.
- Go to the file using a file manager and install it. If you are prompted to enable Unknown Sources option, do it.
- Now open Framaroot from app drawer.
- Tap the Gandalf exploit.
- Your Nokia X will be rooted in a matter of seconds.
Installing Google Apps on Nokia X:
Having rooted your Nokia X, you now have the privilege to access and modify your device’s system. Here’s how you can install Google apps and services on your phone:
- Download the Google apps package, specially packed for the Nokia X: NokiaX_Gapps_KashaMalaga_28.02.2014.zip
- Install a root file manager on your device. File Explorer Root Browser Price: Free
- Extract the Google apps (Gapps) ZIP and copy the folder to your phone.
- Now launch Root Browser and navigate to the Gapps folder.
- Mark/select all files present inside it and select Copy.
- Now go to system/app directory and paste the files here.
- Go to each app that you just copied and set the permissions for each as rw-r–r– (0644).
- To do so, tap and hold the app and select Permissions.
- Then set the permissions as shown above.
When you are done with fixing the app permissions, reboot your Nokia X. When the phone boots up, open Google Play Store and sign in with your Gmail account. Enjoy Google apps and services!