OnePlus X has just been launched and we already have the TWRP recovery for the device. As this is an unofficial build, instability can be expected and some of the features may be missing. However, the basic functionality like flashing, backup, advanced settings do work with this build. With more such releases, stability can be expected. This TWRP build is compatible with all the variants of the device including the Chinese version. However, the language is English on the listed ones.
Once you install a custom recovery, you can then start flashing custom packages like a new ROM or the SuperSU package to gain root access on your device. Before we begin you will need to unlock the bootloader on your device. We already have the guide available for that purpose.
A quick adb and fastboot setup is required in order to flash the TWRP on your device. If you are new to this process, then we will help you successfully install this custom recovery on your device. Remember to back up everything once you set up the TWRP on your device.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you root your device. We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. We won’t be held responsible if you brick your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- TWRP recovery for OnePlus X (File: en-recovery-twrp-onyx.img (15 MB))
Backup Apps and Data
While this process should not wipe any of your data, a backup is highly recommended. Once you install a custom recovery like TWRP, make sure you backup your system, data, etc. from the recovery. It will be helpful in case anything goes wrong.
- This guide is compatible with OnePlus X only. Do not try it on any other devices.
- Unlocked OnePlus X bootloader to install a custom recovery like TWRP on your device.
- Download Android SDK Platform-tools on your computer.
- Install USB Drivers on your computer to transfer the files.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.
- Go to Developer options and enable Allow OEM unlock.
How to Install TWRP on OnePlus X
- Download the recovery image file of your choice. Extract if in case a zip file. Now transfer the file to your PC where you can easily locate it.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and fastboot on your PC. Also, accept Always allow from this computer when you plug in the device for the first time to enable USB Debugging.
- Now power off your device and unplug it from your PC.
- Boot into the bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button simultaneously for 5-6 seconds. When you see the bootloader screen, connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.
adb reboot bootloader
- Navigate to the location where you have placed the recovery file. Rename the recovery file to a simple one, like recovery.img. While the folder with recovery.img file is open, hold the shift key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
- Now issue the following command in the command prompt to check your device connectivity
- Now flash a custom recovery. Issue the following command for that.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Executing the above command will flash TWRP recovery on your OnePlus X. Now boot your phone in recovery mode. You can do this by turning your device off and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time. Or you can simply enter the following command.
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Once into the recovery, you can backup your current ROM, data, EFS and more.
Alternatively, while on Linux or Mac OS, you can issue “./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” command to flash the TWRP recovery. Once you have installed TWRP, you are all set to install custom packages.
For queries, comment down below. Like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.