The Galaxy Express is another mid-range device that has never seen an official Android update from the manufacturer. However, with custom recoveries like TWRP made available to everyone, the Galaxy can now be updated manually to the latest Android version available till date. The device has all the minimum system requirements to run any Android version. Since the source code for CM 13 is now available, the ROM has been ported to Galaxy Express recently. However, in order to install this ROM, you first need to setup a custom recovery like TWRP.
Installing a custom recovery has its own advantages. For instance, you can flash a SuperSU package to gain root access, install custom ROMS or kernels of your choice, setup Xposed framework, and more. The popular TWRP has stepped into it’s support that enables Android enthusiasts to modify their system or even flash an Android version of their choice.
To install this custom recovery, you need to go through the typical Odin installation procedure. However, the Odin method will work only with files containing the .tar or .tar.md5 extension. If the TWRP listed below consists of an image file i.e., file with .img extension, then directly flash it via Flashify Android application.
Before we begin, make sure you have the compatible device and variant required for this procedure.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you root or install TWRP on your device. We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. We won’t be held responsible if you brick your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- Make sure you have the perfect device and variant. This guide is compatible with Samsung Galaxy Express GT-I8730.
- Make sure you have fully charged your Galaxy device or at least up to 60% of the battery.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
- Make sure you have Samsung drivers installed on your PC.
- Download the 7zip software to extract the zip file to get the firmware file which is in .tar.md5 extension.
TWRP recovery for Samsung Galaxy Express
- Download | twrp_3.0.1-0_express.tar.md5
- Download | twrp-3.0.0-0_expressltexx.tar.md5
- Download | twrp-220.127.116.11_f2fs.tar.md5
- Download | Odin3 v3.10.7
Backup Your Apps and Data
It is recommended that you backup your apps, contacts, messages, photos, videos and any other important data stored on the internal storage of your phone. Get some of our useful backup apps from the DroidViews archives. This will help you backup your device data easily. Once you install TWRP recovery onto your device, take a nandroid backup immediately.
How to Install TWRP on Galaxy Express GT-I8730
- Download the TWRP recovery file for your Galaxy Express GT-I8730 from the download section. If it is a zip file, extract it to get the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension. If it is an image file, then do not try it.
- Now turn off your phone and boot it into the Download Mode. To do this, turn off your device and then press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons simultaneously for 2-3 seconds. When you see the warning screen with a yellow triangle sign, press the Volume Up/Down key to enter Download/Odin mode
- Download the required Odin.zip file and extract the file on your PC. You will get the Odin3_v3.10.7.exe file. Open it as the administrator to get to the Odin window.
- Connect your Galaxy Express GT-I8730 to the computer using the USB cable.
- When you connect the device, the ID: COM port on Odin will turn Blue. You’ll also see“Added!!” message to indicate successful connection.
- If in case, Odin doesn’t detect your device, troubleshoot the following:
- Reboot your phone and turn off USB Debugging and turn it on again.
- Try reinstalling the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Try changing the USB cable and connecting to other ports.
- Now click the AP button on Odin and add the firmware file (twrp-18.104.22.168.tar.md5)
- In the Options section, make sure that only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes are checked. (Do not, in any case, check Re-Partition box)
- Before you proceed to firmware installation on Odin, make sure everything is set according to the screenshot.
- Now, click the Start button on Odin to begin firmware installation.
- Once you get a PASS! message on Odin, your device will restart. It’s the green signal that indicates a successful installation. In case you get Fail! message, go through the guide and requirements carefully.
Once you successfully boot into the system, you can now enjoy TWRP recovery on your Galaxy Express GT-I8730.
For queries, comment down below. Like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know