MiUI 7 has been launched last month and its already been ported to over 70 devices. MIUI 7 has become quite popular not just for its iOS resembling user interface, but also for its performance and features. Xiaomi’s own Redmi 1S runs on MIUI 6 and has been promised to be updated to the latest MIUI 7. However, the manufacturer seems to be taking too long and developers have already started porting the ROM.
If you are growing curious and want to install this MIUI 7 ROM onto your Redmi 1S, then here is a simple tutorial that will help you get the ROM running on your device. The ROM is based on the KitKat firmware, and the user interface has been revamped, making it very similar to the MIUI 7. Although the project was discontinued at v5.8.13, a developer has still updated it. With growing popularity of this ROM and its stability, it has been updated taking the ROM to v5.8.22. You can install any of the two ROM onto your device. Many of the users of this ROM has reported it as stable. It has a better performance and battery life than the stock one.
- The listed MIUI 7 ROM is compatible with only Xiaomi Redmi 1S. Do not try it on other devices.
- You need a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your Redmi 1S device.
- You can get the KitKat Google apps if you want and later flash the apps through the recovery.
- You must have device drivers installed on your PC so that you can transfer the ROM file to your device’s storage.
- You must fully charge your device or at least to 60%, as the process may take a while.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you root or install custom ROM on your device. We at DroidViews shall not be responsible for any damage to your device whatsoever. We are not responsible if you brick or damage your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
Backup your Apps and Data
Before you proceed, make sure you backup all your data. This process will wipe all the data from your device except for the internal storage. Hence, a full backup or nandroid backup is recommended. Also backup all your internal storage files just in case anything goes wrong. Take a nandroid backup from the custom recovery before flashing the ROM.
How to Install MIUI 7 ROM on Redmi 1S
- Download the MIUI 7 ROM from the download section. Also, download the KitKat Google Apps if you want.
- Now transfer the files into your device’s internal storage. Place the zip file where you can easily locate it.
- Now reboot into Custom Recovery (like TWRP). To boot into TWRP, press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time.
- It is highly recommended that you perform a nandroid backup. To back up your ROM, tap on backup option in TWRP and select the following elements: System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where appropriate, to back up.
- After performing the ROM backup, return to the TWRP main menu and tap the Wipe button and select Advanced Wipe. Then select Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache. Now swipe right to confirm.
- Go back to the TWRP main menu or home screen again and tap on Install option. Navigate to the ROM file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation. The ROM will be installed.
- Now again return to home in the TWRP and tap on Install option. Navigate to the Google apps zip file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation.
- Once installed, reboot to system.
When you see the boot logo, that means you have successfully installed the ROM on your device. If you come across any boot loops or face ant system errors, you can restore your previous ROM from the backups. For queries, comment down below.