Before the official release of the Galaxy S4, there were rumors that Samsung will be adding the Photosphere camera with its own branding “Camera Orb” in its new flagship. However, later it became evident that the rumors were just rumors and what we got with the Galaxy S4 was Samsung’s own version of Panorama mode that can captures 360 degree left to right or vice versa pictures.
The Photosphere camera feature, that as introduces first with Nexus 4, is really one of the most interesting camera features. The Photosphere camera mode is an advanced form of 360º photography because it beautifully synthesizes several photo frames into one whole to give you a spherical shot. The feature achieves this by piecing together the picture in a virtual space. It then combines all the pieces together, adding depth to the space. Thus you can create an spherical image by moving and aligning the camera sensor to left, right, up or down. Below is very beautiful example that shows what kind of images you can capture using Photosphere.
I flashed the Android 4.2 Photosphere camera on my Galaxy S4 just a couple of days ago and was amazed to see the results. A 360º spherical photo captured with a 13MP camera! So if you have a Samsung Galaxy S4, or even some other Android device (like HTC One or Xperia Z) with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, you can have that awesome camera on your device now!
Update: Finally Working without Root!!
Finally, the most coveted Photosphere Camera is now working on our Samsung Galaxy S4! And guess what, you can simply install it as a normal app and without having to root your phone. I have just tested it on my Galaxy S4 and it has been reported working on Galaxy S4 GT-I9505, T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T Verizon and all other variants of Galaxy S4.
Please note that the new Photosphere camera apk file has been pulled out from the Google Edition Galaxy S4 I9505G system dump. Installing this on your Galaxy S4 will not replace the stock camera or gallery but add another Gallery and Camera.
Just download the APK from below, copy to your phone and install it. Do not forget to enable “Unknown Sources” option from Settings> More> Security. Enjoy friends!
Note: In case you discover that any of the functions of the camera is not working properly, please install the CWM flashable zip provided below.
For Rooted Galaxy S4:
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 with a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP.
- Latest Photosphere camera CWM flashable zip from Google Edition S4: PhotosphereGS4GE
If you have not yet rooted your Galaxy S4, our easy rooting tutorial will help you do that. Click the link below:
Do Not Miss!
Installing Photosphere on Galaxy S4:
Here is how you can install the Photosphere camera from Nexus 4 on your Samsung Galaxy S4. I have tested it on GT-I9500 Besides, the port should also work with other device with Android 4.2.
Please note that installing the Android 4.2 stock camera will not delete or replace the Samsung Camera. Since the Nexus 4 camera app is integrated with the Gallery app, you will also have ane Gallery app icon in your app drawer.
Follow the steps given below-
- Download “PhotosphereGS4GE.zip“ file and copy to your phone internal or external SD card storage.
- Turn off your Galaxy S4 and reboot it into CWM or TWRP recovery mode. Press the Volume Up+Home+Power button together till the “Samsung Galaxy S4” logo blinks for 2 times, then release the Power key. Keep other keys pressed till you see the CWM or TWRP menu.
- Inside the recovery mode, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select an option. If you have the touch version of recovery, you know well what to do.
- First thing that you must always do whenever you flash a mod or port on your Galaxy S4, is the backup stuff. Go to “backup and restore” option in recovery menu and backup your current ROM. In the case of any mishap, you can restore your ROM anytime to get the device back to its normal state.
- Go to “advanced” option and “wipe dalvik cache”. Choose “yes’ when asked.
- Returning back to the main menu, go to “install zip from sdcard> choose zip from sdcard” and select “PhotosphereGS4GE.zip“. Select “yes” on the next screen to confirm installation which will take just few seconds.
- Go to “advanced” menu again and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Finally, come back to the main menu and select “reboot system now”.
Your Galaxy S4 will reboot now and you’ll see “Android is upgrading…” message. Wait till it finishes. Open your app drawer and look for the new Camera and Gallery apps. Enjoy!
Open the camera and start capturing the 360-degree spherical photos with your Samsung Galaxy S4. If you do not know how to launch and use the Photosphere camera, read this tutorial
More Interesting Stuff for Galaxy S4:
Best Custom ROMs for Galaxy S4 (All Models)