The ability to tether mobile data over WiFi is one of the commonest features of modern smartphones. If you have more than one WiFi enabled devices, you can connect all of them to the same data connection using your phone as a WiFi hotspot. This so common and yet special feature can be easily enabled on an Android device by tapping an icon in Quick Settings panel or by going to Settings> More> Tethering & portable hotspot.
This easily accessible service might not be available if you have a carrier branded device. Many network operators, do not allow data sharing and therefore they deactivate/hide WiFi tethering option on their devices. To make it working on your phone, they charge extra money.
If you have the HTC One from Verizon wireless and you want to enjoy WiFi hotspot on it, we have discovered a working hack for you. carm01‘s hotspot hack for the Verizon HTC One works on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat based Sense ROMs. His mod for enabling WiFi tethering on Verizon HTC One is available in 3 variants, depending on what type of ROM you have on your phone.
Since the WiFi hotspot mods are provided in flashable ZIPs, it’s quite obvious that you must have root access and CWM or TWRP recovery installed on your Verizon HTC One. If your device already meets these requirements, just download and flash the mod to enable WiFi tethering. In case you still have an unrooted phone, use the following guide:
Download the correct ZIP from here, depending on the ROM type you have on your phone.
How to Install:
- Download Enable Native Tether mod from above and copy it to your HTC One.
- Reboot your HTC One in Bootloader Mode. To do that turn off the device and then press and hold the Volume Down+Power buttons together for a few seconds till the screen turns on you see the HBOOT screen.
- Scroll to Recovery option using the volume keys and select it by pressing the power button.
- When the device enters CWM/TWRP recovery, backup your current ROM using the Backup option.
- Tap the Install option and select the ZIP file that you copied to the device in Step 1.
- Confirm installation when you are prompted.
- Wipe dalvik cache and then reboot the device.
When your phone boots up, enable WiFi hotspot and enjoy tethering. Do let us know if this mod worked for you or not. Cheers!