Google released the new Android 4.4.3 KitKat update in the form of factory images for four Nexus devices including the Nexus 5, Nexus 4, the old and New Nexus 7. Besides the Nexus device, the Google Play edition device like the HTC One M7, One M8, and the Galaxy S4 also received the new update. The users of Nexus devices can download the Android 4.4.3 factory image file directly from Google Developers portal and flash it via using ADB and Fastboot commands. If you are not familiar with the procedure of flashing stock firmware, see our detailed tutorial:
However, the users who had been waiting to get the update via OTA would be getting it any time as Google has finally started rolling out the Android 4.4.3 (KTU84L) update for the following devices:
- Nexus 5
- Nexus 7 2013 (WiFi)
- Nexus 4
- Nexus 10
- Google Play edition HTC One M7
- Google Play edition HTC One M8
- Google Play edition Samsung Galaxy S4
If you own any of the devices listed above, you can download the Android 4.4.3 KitKat OTA package in Zip and flash it manually right away without waiting for the official update notification. Please note that if you think that the OTA will revamp your device with UI tweaks and new features, you’ll be disappointed. Android 4.4.3 is more of an incremental update that addresses the bugs and issues found on older Android 4.4.2.
Features of Android 4.4.3 KitKat
- Data connection dropout fix
- Fix for mm-qcamera-daemon bug and optimization
- Camera focus in regular and HDR modes fix
- Power Manager display wakelock fix
- Tweaked Dialer app with a colored Action bar.
- Multiple Bluetooth fixes
- Random reboot fix
- Missed call LED fix
- Fixed removal of App shortcuts from launcher after update
- App shortcuts security fix
- USB debugging security fix
- WiFi auto-connect issue fix
- Some camera fixes
- Fixes related to MMS, Email/Exchange, Calendar, People/Dialer/Contacts, DSP, IPv6, VPN, etc.
- Stuck in activation screen fix
- Fixed data usage graph fix
- Fixed issue in internet telephony
- Hissing sound while recording video fix
- FCC issue on certain apps and processes fix
- Miscellaneous fixes
Download Android 4.4.3 KitKat OTA Packages
- Nexus 4 — Android 4.4.3 (KTU84L)
- Nexus 5 — Android 4.4.3 (KTU84M)
- Nexus 7 2013 (WiFi) — Android 4.4.3 (KTU84L)
- Nexus 10 — Android 4.4.3 (KTU84L)
- GPe HTC One M7 Android 4.4.3 (KTU84L)
- GPe HTC One M8 — Android 4.4.3 (KTU84L)
- GPe Samsung Galaxy S4 — Android 4.4.3 (KTU84L)
How to Install OTA Packages on Nexus Devices
- Download the OTA Zip file from above.
- Make sure you have installed Android SDK on your computer. If not, refer to our guides on setting it up.
- A Nexus device running stock Android 4.4.2 ROM.
- Turn on Android Debugging on your phone from Settings> Developer options. To enable Developer options, read this.
Installing the OTA Zip:
- Copy the download OTA zip package in the platform-tools folder found in the Android SDK directory.
- Now launch a command window from inside the platform-tools folder. You can do it by moving the mouse pointer at an empty space, pressing the Shift key and doing a right-click with your mouse. Select Open command prompt here option.
- Connect your device to the computer, type the following command and hit the Enter key:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your device will reboot into Bootloader mode.
- Using the Volume Up/Down keys, highlight the Recovery mode and press the Power button.
- When you see the Android icon with a red exclamation mark, press and hold the Power button followed quickly by Volume Up key.
- Your Nexus device will boot into the Recovery mode.
- Using the Volume Down key, highlight the apply update from ADB option and press Power button to select it.
- Launch the command window again and type the following command followed by the name of your OTA package. Suppose the OTA package is signed-hammerhead-KTU84M-from-KOT49H.d173d546.zip, you have to type:
adb.exe sideload signed-hammerhead-KTU84M-from-KOT49H.d173d546.zip
- If you are a Mac or Linux user, use the following command:
./adb-mac sideload signed-hammerhead-KTU84M-from-KOT49H.d173d546.zip
./adb sideload signed-hammerhead-KTU84M-from-KOT49H.d173d546.zip
- The OTA will begin installing on your device.
- When it is finished, select reboot system now option in Recovery.
Done! Wait till your device boots up. Then go to Settings> About and check the firmware version. It should look like shown in the screenshot below: