Nokia 7.1 users can now rejoice as there is some exciting news for you. Nokia has started to roll out the Android 9.0 Pie OTA update for Nokia 7.1. We have already known that Nokia delivers one of the fastest Android updates across all the OEMs around the world. Also, HMD Global announced that all the Nokia phones will now come under the Android One program. This also helps in delivering the speedy updates as it is Stock Android without any modifications. Also, Nokia has already released Android Pie update to few of their devices already and Nokia 7.1 also joins the list now
Talking about Nokia 7.1’s Android Pie update, it is basically the same version of Android Pie as found on Google Pixel devices. Therefore, you can expect all the features you see on Google Pixel phones to be present on your Nokia 7.1. Android Pie, if you are unaware, is the latest version of Android versioned as Android 9.0. This version of Android was announced by Google at Google I/O 2018. Later in August, Google released Android 9.0 Pie officially to Google Pixel and Nexus devices. Some of the highlights of Android 9.0 Pie are features such as Slices, Adaptive Battery, App Actions and Digital Wellbeing.
Changelog of the latest OTA update for Nokia 7.1
- Updated to Android 9.0 Pie (of course)
- Android security patch level upgraded to 1 November 2018
You might already be aware of the fact that your device is unlikely to get the Android Pie update straightaway. This is because the update is released in patches which can take a few days or weeks to reach your device. Therefore, you are forced to wait in order to get the taste of the latest version of Android. But that is not the case here as we have now found out a way in which you can install this update on your Nokia 7.1 right now.
XDA recognized developer, yshalsager, has been able to extract the OTA update link for the Nokia 7.1. The installation is simple as you just have to download the update zip file, install it via bootloader and enjoy the sweet taste of Android Pie on your device. We have attached a complete step-by-step guide for this installation below so even if you are new to this, you can install the update easily.
- We recommend you to take a backup of your device before installing this update. So even if something goes wrong in the installation than you can always revert back to the old state.
- Another important step is to have ADB and Fastboot installed on your PC. to do this, go through our ADB and Fastboot installation guide from here.
- Ensure that your Nokia 7.1 has a battery percentage of more than 50% to keep your device running through the entire installation
Download Android Pie OTA.zip for Nokia 7.1
Install Android Pie OTA Update on Nokia 7.1
- Download the OTA zip attached in the Downloads section
- Then, open the folder where you have ADB and Fastboot installed on your PC
- Press Shift key on your keyboard and Right-click at any empty space inside this folder.
- Now, click on the “Open Command Prompt Window here” option inside the right-click menu
- Type the following command in the Command Prompt Window
adb reboot recovery
- You will now see a No Command logo on reboot. Once you see this, continue pressing the Power button and press the Volume Up button once to boot into recovery mode
- Now, go to “Apply update from ADB” option by going up and down through volume keys and selecting via power button.
- On your PC, type the following command to sideload the OTA zip to your smartphone
adb sideload 334d1cc386fe50875f1ae3daa8fd8fbddf75716d.zip
- Press enter and the process of Sideloading the OTA zip file will start.
- On successful completion of sideloading, reboot your device to the system
- You will now see that your Nokia 7.1 has been updated to Android 9.0 Pie. To confirm your current Android version, go to Settings > About Phone and check the present Android version which should be Android 9.0 Pie
Read next: How to Speed Up Lagging Android Devices