Verizon is the most popular and largest network operator in the US but for some unknown reasons, it’s also the laziest carriers to roll out software updates for its devices. The Verizon S7/S7 Edge was one of the last to receive the Nougat update but things are not the same in the case of the Verizon S6/S6 Edge. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint users are still waiting for the latest update to knock their doors. However, if you own the Verizon model of the phone, you don’t need to wait anymore. By following the steps in our tutorial, you can install the stock Android 7.0 Nougat firmware on Verizon Galaxy S6 (SM-G920V) or S6 Edge (SM-G925V) right now. The build version of the available Nougat firmware is VRS4DQD1 and you can download it from below.
If you don’t want to download and install the full Nougat firmware on your Verizon S6/S6 Edge, you can simply request the OTA from Settings> About device> Software update. Please note that if you have disabled some system apps or have rooted your S6, or have been using this phone out of the US territory, you won’t be able to get the automatic update. Therefore, installing the firmware manually using Odin is the only way to get Android 7.0 Nougat on your Verizon Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge.
In case you are curious about the new features introduced in Android Nougat update for the Galaxy S6, please take a look at the full list of features on the official Verizon Wireless portal.
Download Verizon Galaxy S6 (SM-G920V) Nougat Firmware
Older firmwares for VZW S6:
- G920VVRU4CPK2 (6.0.1): G920V_G920VVRU4CPK2_VZW_USA_v6.0.1.zip
- G920VVRU4CPH1 (6.0.1): G920V_G920VVRU4CPH1_VZW_USA_v6.0.1.zip
- G920VVRU4BOG7 (5.1.1): G920V_G920VVRU4BOG7_VZW_USA_v5.1.1.zip
Download Verizon Galaxy S6 Edge (SM-G925V) Nougat Firmware
Older firmwares VZW S6 Edge:
- G925VVRS4CPL3 (6.0.1): G925VVRS4CPL3_VZW4CPL3_VZW_USA_Verizon.zip
- G925VVRU4CPK2 (6.0.1): G925VVRU4CPK2_VZW4CPK2_VZW_USA_Verizon.zip
- G925VVRU4CPD2 (6.0.1): G925VVRU4CPD2_VZW4CPD2_VZW_USA_Verizon.zip
- G925VVRU4BOK7 (5.1.1): G925VVRU4BOK7_G925VVZW4BOK7_VZW.zip
- G925VVRU4BOG9 (5.1.1): G925VVRU4BOG9_VZW4BOG9_VZW_USA_Verizon.zip
- Download the Android Nougat firmware from one of our links above and unzip the downloaded file on your desktop.
- Download Odin3_v3.12.3 and extract the zip on your desktop.
- Make sure you have installed the latest Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
- Backup your apps and data as a precaution.
- Charge your Verizon Galaxy S6 to ensure 60-70% battery level.
Install Android 7.0 Nougat Firmware on Verizon Galaxy S6/S6 Edge (SM-G920V/G925V)
- You will get 4 files inside the extracted firmware folder. In case you find just one file (with .tar.md5 extension) inside the firmware zip, just click the AP button in Odin and add the firmware file and click the Start button. You can find the installation instructions given here.
- Open the Odin folder and launch the program as an administrator.
- Now to reboot your Verizon Galaxy S6/S6 Edge into Download mode, turn it off, press and hold Home + Volume Down + Power buttons until you see a blue screen with the exclamation sign. Press the Volume Up key to enter the Download Mode.
- Connect your phone to the PC with a USB cable.
- The ID:COM port on Odin will be highlighted in blue when your device is detected. You will also see “Added” in the message box.
- Now click the BL button in Odin, navigate to the folder in which you extracted the firmware files. Select the file that has a name starting with BL.
- Then click the AP button and add the file with the name starting with AP. Do the same with CP and CSC fields.
- When done with that, click the Start button and have some popcorn while the installation process completes. Or just wait like a normal person.
- When the installation completes successfully, you will get a PASS! message on Odin and your Galaxy S6 will reboot automatically.
Please don’t panic if the first boot takes a while. The first boot after installing a new firmware takes about 5-8 minutes. Just wait patiently until your phone boots up and you will have the profit. Enjoy!