Android is a world of surprises and adventure and sometimes they take place in quick succession. It has just been a few hours since the Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F started receiving the all new Android 5.0 Lollipop update. It seldom happens that an OEM like Samsung releases a major update like Lollipop within a couple of weeks of the official release from Google but it has really happened! And now, if you have already updated your Galaxy S5 SM-G900F and have been missing root access you’re enjoying previously on KitKat, it’s time to make your day today!
In case you have not yet updated your Galaxy S5 SM-G900F to Android 5.0 Lollipop yet, you can download and install the firmware by jumping to our tutorial. Using our steps below, you’ll be able to root and install TWRP recovery on your Galaxy S5 running the newly released Lollipop firmware with build version G900FXXU1BNL2.
Please note that rooting your Galaxy S5 and installing a custom recovery on will not only void your phone’s warranty, but might also put it into serious risk. Moreover, the method described below is meant only for SM-G900F (Snapdragon) and must not be tried on any other Galaxy S5 variant. Proceed at your own responsibility.
- Download the latest TWRP recovery file with .tar extension from the official site: openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-klte.tar
- Also download the latest SuperSU zip package from Chainfire’s website and copy the zip file to your phone’s internal or external SD storage: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip
- Download the latest version of Odin: Download – Mirror
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. If you don’t know how to do so, read this guide.
- Download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers if you do not have it installed already.
- Backup your phone’s apps and data as precaution.
Installing TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S5
Since you have already download the Odin flashable TWRP file, all you need to do it to install it on your Galaxy S5. Head over to our tutorial to find steps to install TWRP recovery using Odin.
Root Galaxy S5 SM-G900F on Android 5.0 Lollipop
Having installed TWRP recovery on your Galaxy S5, we would now flash the SuperSU zip file.
- Make sure that you have copied the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip file to your phone.
- Now turn off your S5 and boot it into download mode. You can do so by holding down the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together till the screen turns up. As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release the Power key but keep the other two keys pressed till you see the TWRP recovery menu.
- Tap the Install button, navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip file and select it.
- Then swipe the installation confirmation slider button and wait till SuperSU is flashed on your phone.
- When the installation is finished, tap the reboot button.
Done! Just wait till your Galaxy S5 boots up. It now has root access. Enjoy! If you wish to verify root access, just install the Root Checker app and run it.