PS4 Remote Play streaming app from Sony is a piece of art for the hardcore gamers, but making the app Xperia-only really disappointed many of the fans out there. However, you don’t need to feel left out given that a developer from XDA has already ported this app for the non-Xperia users. TheScriptKitty of XDA has created an app port which promises a smooth PS4 remote play experience for the non-Xperia users.
The latest version of the app supports all the devices (List of devices supported/tested) which are running Android 2.2 Froyo or above (little glitchy on Lollipop). Surprisingly, you don’t need to root your device for this port to work but root is optional for some features to work. For a smooth gaming, it’s recommended to have a 5 Ghz Router for the smartphone to connect and the PS4 connected via LAN cable. Below are some of the feature of the ported PS4 remote play app:
- Root Check/APK Signature Check Disabled.
- Connection Speed Check Removed.
- Wifi Check Removed.
- XML/JAR Dependencies Removed.
- Downgraded Minimum Required SDK to 2.2.
- Native DualShock 4 Support(Beta).
As you can see, WiFi and root checks are removed in the latest version, so you can even play on slower data connection as long as it’s fast enough to drive smoother graphics. The port is available in a flashable zip format which can be flashed using a custom recovery or a standalone app package. The port comes in two flavors, normal which includes Remote play app, DualShockManger app, and the require files to display the PS4 Remote Play Icon under the Connect to PS4 tab in the PlayStation App. The Minimal version only the Remote Play App which does the task on low memory devices.
Download the latest version of the zip file of your choice from the download link below and flash it via custom recovery.
PS4 Remote Play: RemotePlayPortV0.7.4.apk
For more add-ons and support, follow the XDA support thread at the end of the post.
How to use your Android Smartphone as a PS4 controller
- Create a secondary Playstation network account.
- Open the Ps4 remote play app on your Android device and sign into Playstation with your secondary account.
- On your PS4, navigate to settings › Remote Play Settings › Add Device. This will generate a code, save it for later.
- Now, hit the Next button on the remote play app on your Android device and hit skip while it’s searching.
- Use the code generated in step 3 to connect the android device to the PS4.
- Upon completion, you should be able to see the mirror on your android app.
- Log in with your main account on the Ps4.
- Now, you can play remotely on your PS4.
The mod is still in Work in progress status, so kindly check the XDA source thread linked at the end of the post for updated instructions and updates.