The Droid DNA does not have any official support from HTC Dev for unlocking the bootloader, yet you can unlock the device now because a group of developers, led by Justin Case (Donate), have come up with an unofficial method for the same. If you own this super-smartphone, and want to root and install a custom recovery on it, you must unlock its bootloader which is the first step toward getting root access on your phone. The method relates to change the CID (Cell Info Display) of your HTC Droid DNA, so that when you use the official bootloader unlocking steps from HTC Dev, it takes the Droid DNA as a different phone.
The procedure described below is risky and irreversible. It means that once unlocked, you cannot re-lock the bootloader. To avoid any mishap, please be extra careful while following the steps.
Preparations before Unlocking the Droid DNA Bootloader:
- Make sure you have installed the Android SDK on your computer. If not, download the specific version of Android SDK for your Windows, Mac, or Linux and install it.
- Download Backup.ab file.
- Download DNA_TeamAndIRC.zip
- Download and install HTC USB Drivers on your computer.
- Charge your phone’s battery to at least 70% level.
- Backup all your contacts, messages and apps stored on the phone.
- Ensure at least at 1 GB of free space on your phone.
Steps for Unlocking the Bootloader on Droid DNA:
Okay, with all preparations made, you need to follow the steps described here to unlock the bootloader on your HTC Droid DNA.