Google Pixel and Pixel XL are an upgrade to the Nexus lineup but unlocking the bootloader remains quite simple. Just like the other Google phones, the Pixel smartphones can be easily unlocked with just a few commands. But the Verizon Google Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones are a bit different. They come with a locked bootloader and there’s no official way to unlock the bootloader. However, thanks to the efforts of the developer beaups, we can now unlock bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel smartphones.
The Verizon Google Pixel smartphones can be unlocked with the tool called dePixel8. You can download the dePixel8 tool from the beaups official website Sunshine. The tool consists of an unlock script which needs to be pushed to your device using shell commands. If this seems a bit difficult, follow the below instructions carefully to unlock bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel smartphone.
Must Read: 40+ Google Pixel Tips and Tricks
Note: Unlocking the bootloader on your Verizon Google Pixel device will completely wipe all data on the device. So, make sure you backup your important data like Photos, Videos, Music and other files on the device to a safe place.
- Go to Settings> About phone> Build number and tap it 7 times to enable Developer options on your Google Pixel. Then go back to Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging and OEM unlocking.
- Download the Minimal ADB and Fasboot Setup and install it on your computer.
- Backup all your apps and data because your device’s storage will be wiped while unlocking the bootloader.
- Make sure you have enough charge on your device before starting the process.
Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel/Pixel XL
- Download the dePixel8 file from here and place it in the same folder where you’ve installed ADB/Fastboot files.
- Connect your Google Pixel smartphone to the PC using a USB cable.
- Navigate to the folder where you’ve extracted the ADB and Fastboot files and open a command prompt by pressing Shift + Right click on any empty space inside the folder and select Open command window here from the context menu.
- Issue the following commands one-by-one to push the dePixel8 script to your device.
adb push dePixel8 /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/dePixel8
adb shell /data/local/tmp/dePixel8
- Your device will automatically reboot into bootloader mode. If it doesn’t, you need to start over from beginning.
- Once the device is in bootloader mode, issue the following command to unlock the bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
After issuing the command, you’ll get a confirmation screen on your Pixel device. Press Volume Up button to highlight Yes and press Power button to confirm.
- Your device will reboot into bootloader mode after the unlock process. Use the below command to reboot your device.
If you receive any error during the process, start from the beginning. It should work on the Verizon Google Pixel devices without any issue.