We always want the grey line to win the race defeating the red line by a very long way, I am just talking about the YouTube buffering. YouTube buffering icons are the most hated things in my internet experience, wasting countless hours on my mobile just to watch a tiny video. It’s not just about Youtube, slow 3G speeds in some mobiles is very annoying and destroys the entire purpose of a smartphone. A good and stable 3G connection is all an Internet hog always want.
bahathir of XDA forums seems to have taken this issue seriously and found a way to improve 3G speeds on Android devices using a simple trick. This trick (You may call it hack) involves in modifying an internet configuration file to enable the Van Jacobson TCP / IP header compression which will increase the 3G speeds on your Android device to a considerable amount. As per some testers, this trick boosted the speeds up to twice the older speeds. But as per us, we got a boost of about 25-30% when we tested it on our devices.
This trick requires root permission on your device as it involves modifying a system file. The effectiveness of this trick may vary as per your carrier as the compression technique should be supported by them. So if you have a rooted device and urge to speed up the 3G speeds on your device, we shall jump to the procedure quickly.
Procedure to Speed Up 3G Connection
- Download the options archive file which consists the internet configuration and extract it→ Click Here
- Copy the extracted options file to the device memory using a USB cable.
- Download any root explorer of your choice, you can get one from the download link below:
- Copy the Options file to /system/etc/ppp path and change the permissions to r-x r-x r-x as shown in the screenshot below. (Right-click on the file and select properties to change the permissions)
- Reboot the device once everything is finished.
Check your 3G speed after the reboot and comment the boost percent in the comments below.