AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 gets another minor update from the manufacturer in the form of I337UCUFNJ4 firmware upgrade which brings the Android 4.4.4 KitKat to the S4 users. The noteworthy thing is that the NJ4 update came to the Galaxy S4 users just within two months after the NI1 update which is pretty quick from Samsung. However, this might not be a necessary update as the Galaxy S4 users are looking forward to the Lollipop upgrade which brings a major overhaul on their old S4. Apart from that, it’s now partially confirmed that the Galaxy S4 users have to wait for a while to see the Lollipop update on their devices.
The update comes with minor enhancements, security updates, Knox 2.0 and few other new preloaded apps. As you can see, the update doesn’t seem pretty interesting apart from the fact that your device runs on a higher Android version and comes with few bug fixes. The good thing is you can still retain root permissions after taking OTA update to NJ4, thanks to muniz_ri of XDA for taking some time and providing the root procedure on the new firmware. As always, the root procedure involves taking OTA to the new firmware, then flashing the root-supported old kernel to gain root and finally reverting to the original kernel.
So if you’re ready to get the 4.4.4 update on your AT&T Galaxy S4, here’s the rooting guide for retaining the root on Android 4.4.4 with a simple yet detailed guide. Follow the instructions carefully to root AT&T Galaxy S4 on NJ4 firmware.
This guide is intended only for the AT&T Galaxy S4 with the model number SGH-I337, not for any other device of Samsung. Be extra cautious when you choose the firmwares as flashing wrong firmwares might result in a bricked device. You alone are responsible for any consequences that might occur during the process, we shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device.
Prepare Your Device
- Charge your Galaxy S4 above 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Install required Samsung USB Drivers.
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS, etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app.
Root AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 on I337UCUFNJ4 Firmware
- First things first, take the NJ4 Firmware update through OTA or manual process.
- Flash the I337_NC1_Stock_Kernel using the Odin firmware flashing tool.
- Reboot the device and root it using the Towelroot app. For this just open the towel root app and press Make it Rain button to root your device.
- Once the device is rooted, download the I337_NJ4_Stock_Kernel and flash it using the Odin tool to get back to the stock NJ4 kernel.
- Reboot the device and download the SuperSU app from the Play Store to manage root permissions on your device.
Note: After the update to NJ4 firmware, there may be extreme lag on your device making it unable to install Towel root. Reboot the device once and try again, this time your device won’t show any lags.
That’s it, your AT&T Galaxy S4 is now rooted on the Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware. Now you can enjoy the advanced application on your device which requires root access.
Leave your feedback in the comments section below.