The HTC One M8 Eye was a high end 4G LTE enabled smartphone launched by the Taiwanese manufacturers in 2014. Boasting a full metallic unibody design with a 5 inch full HD display capable of 16M colors, and a pixel density of 441ppi. On top of HTC’s heavily skinned Sense UI, the device was launched with Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
In terms of internal, the device has a quad-core Snapdragon 2.3 GHz CPU, Adreno 330 GPU, a 2600mAh Li-polymer battery, 2 GB of RAM, a brilliant 13MP camera with a dual-LED flash including all fancy camera features and an equally brilliant 5MP front shooter for selfies.
Now if you do own this device but are stuck on stock like experience and feel that the potential of this phone is being suppressed, then by following this guide you can successfully install a custom recovery and root it to unlock its full potential.
Rooting a phone gives you the freedom to start using root apps such as Titanium Backup and Xposed Modules which add a lot of functionality over the already existing features.
First of all you will need to ensure a few things before we start flashing:
- Confirm you are using an unlocked HTC One M8 Eye. If the bootloader isn’t unlocked then you can’t proceed further.
Note: Any carrier-specific model might not work with this method. User is to perform this at their own risk.
- Ensure that you have the necessary HTC USB device drivers installed (Download here).
- Check if you have at least 80-85% of battery charge. We don’t want the phone dying in the middle of the process.
- If you have done this process before on other devices then you must be familiar with adb and fastboot. Ensure that you have it installed.
For those who aren’t familiar with adb and fastboot, Please refer to our detailed guide on How to Setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows within Seconds
- Enable USB-Debugging from Developer Options in the Settings menu.
- Make sure that you have backed up all your personal data and apps as all data will be erased!
- For Contacts, Calendar and People details use Google Accounts Sync to backup
- For Apps and App Data check out our detailed post here.
Disclaimer: The following procedure is highly risky and there are chances that you may brick your phone if not performed correctly, DroidViews cannot be held responsible if that happens. So user should tread cautiously and at their own risk.
You will need to download these files on keeping them on your Desktop.
TWRP Recovery: twrp-m8eye-220.127.116.11.img
SuperSU: Download here
Install TWRP Recovery on HTC One M8 Eye
- Firstly connect your device to the PC and copy the SuperSU file in the root of your internal memory.
- Boot your HTC One M8 Eye into bootloader mode:
- Power off your device and wait for 5-10 seconds until the device is fully switched off.
- Press and hold Power and Volume down together until you see a white screen. This is bootloader mode.
- Scroll using volume buttons to FASTBOOT, and then use the Power button to select it.
- Now open Command Prompt and check whether your fastboot recognizes the device by typing:
- Next change the directory of the Command Prompt window to the Desktop where the files are by typing
- Flash the TWRP recovery file to the device by typing:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-m8eye-18.104.22.168.img
- Once the file is flashed restart your M8 Eye to bootloader mode again and select Recovery from the menu to access TWRP Recovery. And that’s it you will now have TWRP running in your HTC One M8 Eye.
Root HTC One M8 Eye
Once you reboot into TWRP main menu:
Step 1 – Select ‘Install’ and scroll all the way to the bottom till you see the ‘SuperSU.zip’ file.
Step 2 – Select the .zip file and swipe the bar to confirm. This will start flashing the .zip file.
Step 3 – Once the flashing finished you will see the ‘Reboot System’ option, click it to reboot your device.
Once the device reboots you will see the SuperSU app appear in your app menu. You can also confirm if your device is rooted by installing and running the Root Checker application.
And that’s it you have successfully rooted your HTC One M8 Eye and installed the SuperSU application, now you can start using root applications.
If you had any trouble while flashing do let us know in the comments sections below.