It has now become a trend among manufacturers to take advantage of the popularity of one of their smartphones by launching a mini version of the device. Samsung started this in the past with the Galaxy S3 Mini and later with the S4 Mini. HTC, a major competitor of the Korean giant, caught the idea and came up with cut-size version of its most popular device the HTC One. And now the company has come up with a maximized variant of the One with a whopping 5.9-inch display to counter Samsung’s Note line phablets.
The HTC One Max has the same premium feel of its predecessor and it’s impressive too but, at the same time, it is pretty bulky. It’s the heaviest phone I have ever carried!! Anyway, if you have this big avatar of the HTC One and are now planning to get rid of its locked bootloader and root it, the present tutorial will help you do that easily. Besides rooting the One Max, we would also tell you how you can install the ClockworkMod or TWRP Recovery on your device.
Before you proceed, please be informed that gaining S-Off and root access on your HTC One Max will void its warranty. Moreover, the method given below is considered risky too. That’s to say, it can send your phone to a state of bootloop and might brick it. Whether it be case of success or failure, you’ll be solely responsible for the same. A good tutorial always requires a good follower. The procedure has been duly tested and found working, so just be careful while doing things.
Before to head to the real action, there are a few resources and tools that we need to download. Besides, there are some preparatory steps that you need to make so that things go smooth and nice.
- Visit HTC Dev portal, open an account there, click on the Unlock Bootloader icon on the page and unlock the bootloader of your HTC One Max by following the instructions given there. The users of Verizon One Max can download the Rumrunner Tool from below and achieve S-Off and root access
- When you are done with unlocking the bootloader, enable USB Debugging on your device. Open phone Settings> Developer Options and turn on the option. In case you do not find the Developer options under Settings, follow the steps given here.
- Download Android SDK and set it up on your computer. You can also refer to our detailed guide for setting up the ADB/Fastboot.
- Download Fastboot/ADB files and extract the zip: Android SDK Fastboot-ADB.zip
- Download Beaups’ Rumrunner tool.
- Download unsecure kernel file for HTC One Max: Sprint_One_Max_1.16.651.4_Unsecure_kernel.zip
- Download the following SuperUser file and copy it to your device: superuser.zip
- Now download your preferred custom recovery from below:
- CWM Recovery:
- HTC One Max (International): recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-t6ul.img
- HTC One Max (Sprint): recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-t6spr.img
- HTC One Max (Verizon): recovery-clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-t6vzw.img
- CWM Recovery: