Honor 9 is the recent flagship killer from Huawei with massive specs like the dual camera and 6 GB RAM at a budget price. The device was launched with Emotion UI 5.1 which is based on the latest stable version of Android Nougat 7.0. EMUI is Huawei’s exclusive smartphone OS and it has a few extra features and customization options than Stock Android.
However, EMUI, in the current state at least, is not as optimized and functional as the stock version of Android. Especially with 6 GB of RAM built inside and a powerful octa-core processor, the device could perform much better with the smoothness of stock Android and with all the unnecessary apps and features removed.
Even though it has only been a few weeks since the launch of Honor 9, developers over at XDA Forums, have already uploaded an AOSP based Custom ROM for the device. More to the surprise, the Custom ROM is everyone’s favorite and the one with the most functionality, Resurrection Remix. The Custom ROM is based on Android Nougat 7.1.2 and it offers a near stock Android experience.
But, as of now, the ROM is not completely stable and the current version available for download is only a test version. So, if you want to try out the ROM on your Honor 9, you have to keep in mind what you are getting into and you might encounter occasional bugs and crashes. However, most essential features like WiFi, Bluetooth, IR and dual Sim cards are fully functional.
Some of the bugs and issues you might overcome with the Resurrection Remix ROM for Honor 9 include, video recording issues, reboots when the device is connected to the computer, fingerprint scanner and Encryption issues.
However, the ROM also comes with a specific set of features to compromise these problems. The features include Substratum Theme Engine for device wide customization, Omni switch, and Magisk Manager. Not to mention, the default features of Android Nougat 7.1.2, split screen multitasking, app shortcuts, improved settings menu and doze.
So, after reading all this, if you are still solid on trying out the Resurrection Remix Custom ROM on your Honor 9, then you can do so by simply follow the step by step instructions below. Proceed with your own risk.
Features of Resurrection Remix ROM
- Substratum Theme Engine
- A huge bunch of various customizations
- Root and Magisk manager
- Battery power profiles
- System profiles
- Dual SIM support
- Screen recorder
- Off mode charging
In case anything goes wrong, you might end up with a bricked device. It is therefore advised that you do your research before moving ahead if you’ve never flashed a ROM before. DroidViews or even the developers of the ROM aren’t responsible for anything that happens to your device while flashing the ROM.
- Unlock the Bootloader and Install a Custom Recovery On Your Honor 9 By following the guide here.
- Make sure your device has enough battery left so that it doesn’t run out of juice during the process.
- In case things don’t go as planned, or you just don’t like the new ROM, you might want to have a full Nandroid backup of your current setup. This way you can restore it and get your device back to how it was before flashing the ROM.
- Your device should already be running on the Stock EMUI 5.1 based on Android Nougat.
Installing Resurrection Remix ROM on Huawei Honor 9
- Download and transfer the Custom ROM file, the vendor image and the gapps file to your Honor 9.
- Now boot your phone into recovery mode. To do this, power off your device first. Then press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons together for a few seconds past the boot logo. Let the buttons go once your device boots into recovery.
- In the recovery mode, you can create a Backup if you haven’t already. Otherwise, just tap the Wipe button. Now select the system, data and cache partitions then swipe to wipe them.
- Go back to the TWRP main menu and select Install.
- Navigate to the custom ROM zip you downloaded earlier and select it.
- Now again select the Install option and install the vendor.img file (see instruction here).
- Now tap the Install option again and this time select the Gapps file and flash it.
- Swipe to initiate the process.
Once the installation is complete, wipe the Dalvik and cache and then reboot your Honor 9. The initial boot might take some time, so don’t panic. Once the boot process is complete you can now start using your Honor 9 running Resurrection Remix based on Android Nougat 7.1.2. If you have any doubts regarding the process, comment below. You can also participate in the discussion at the ROM Forum at XDA here.