Android Lollipop is definitely the biggest update since the OS has evolved. The new update has made Android simpler, more intuitive and beautiful with enhanced usability. The software update was released in November last year and it’s still making its way to more and more eligible devices.
Being an HTC flagship, the One M8 was privileged to get the Lollipop update before any other phone from the OEM. While LG and Motorola among the first to release the software update, HTC took months before it could customize its Sense UI according to the new norms. Anyway, the international HTC One M8 received Android Lollipop update about a month ago and it has just been some days when it was pushed to the Verizon variant of the device too.
If you own the Verizon HTC One M8, you might already be enjoying the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on your phone. However, if you have gained S-OFF, rooted and have installed a custom ROM on your device, you will not receive the official OTA. In that case, you can either look for a Lollipop based Sense ROM, or restore your device to stock to be able to get the Lollipop OTA.
Thanks to XDA member, dottat that we now have another way to update the Verizon One M8 to Android 5.0.1. He has shared the Lollipop firmware as an RUU (ROM update utility) for installation via a PC and also a Zip that can be installed by copying on the SD card.
- The procedure must be followed only by users who have gained S-OFF on their Verizon One M8.
- Install HTC Sync or HTC USB drivers on your computer: Download here
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone from Settings> Developer options. If you do not find Developer option under device settings, read the instructions given here.
- Go to Settings> Power and turn off Fastboot option.
- Make sure you got an external SD card (for Method 1).
- Backup all your data before proceeding with firmware installation.
- Download and Lollipop HBoot: vzwm8Lhboot.zip
- Download either the RUU or the FUU file from below:
Restore VZW M8 to Stock Android 5.0.1 Lollipop
If you find the Method 1 too complicated for you, we got a much easier way of installing the stock ROM back to your Verizon HTC One M8. The following method is also suitable for those who do not have access to a computer. However, the is one step when you might need a computer.
- The method requires an external SD card. If you already have it format it to FAT32. This is actually the default mode of formatting memory drives on Windows.
- Rename the downloaded vzwm8Lhboot.zip to 0P6BIMG.zip and copy the file to your phone.
- Reboot your HTC One M8 into the Bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons for 2-3 seconds.
- Your device will automatically detect the RUU file and you’ll see installation prompts on your phone’s screen. Once the installation is done, your M8’s HBOOT will be updated to the Lollipop version. You are now ready to flash the RUU.
- Now rename DOTTAT_VZWM8_S_OFF_5.0.1_RUU.zip to 0P6BIMG.zip.
- Copy the RUU file (0P6BIMG.zip) to the external SD card.
- Reboot your HTC One M8 into the Bootloader mode again.
- Your device will automatically detect the RUU file and you’ll see installation prompts on your phone’s screen.
- Just follow the onscreen instruction and the RUU will be installed to your device within a few minutes and your phone will be updated to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop
- Connect your phone to PC using the USB cable provided by the OEM.
- Extract “DOTTAT_VZWM8_S_OFF_5.0.1_FUU.zip” file and open the folder.
- Now double click ARUwizard.exe.
- When the FUU launches, follow the on-screen prompts until your One M8 reboots. Please note that your phone might take 5-8 minutes to reboot after firmware installation.
Congrats, you have successfully restored your Verizon HTC One M8 to stock Lollipop pre-rooted ROM!
Install TWRP Recovery on Verizon M8 with Lollipop
Having upgraded to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop, you can also root your device and flash a custom recovery.
- Download the latest TWRP Recovery image file: openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-m8_wlv.img
- Copy it to your One M8.
- Install Flashify app on your phone:
- Open the app and tap Recovery Image option and select the TWRP image file to flash.
- Your device will reboot and you will have TWRP Recovery installed on your Verizon HTC One M8.
Credits: dottat @ xda