A while back we pushed a guide on Nexus 4 Rooting, Unlocking bootloader & Installing CWM. Today, we are gonna move a step forward to install another popular Android custom recovery; TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP) on the new Google flagship; Nexus 4. TWRP on your Nexus 4 will add several possibilities to your device customization which Includes Installing Custom ROMs, Kernels, add-on, themes etc. Before making further instructions, I am going to write a point info about TWRP, so lets begin.
What is TWRP?
TeamWin Recovery Project or in short; TWRP, is an Android Custom Recovery with full touch-based UI. It adds customization support and enormous other amazing features to the AOSP recovery code which makes it one of the best Android Custom Recovery available till date. The GUI on other hand is fully XML based, so you can modify each and every aspect of this recovery according to your desires, provided that you have appropriate knowledge of XML and Android.
We can assure the method to be completely working but we do not take any responsibility of any damage caused to your due to this post and its guide.
How to Install TWRP v18.104.22.168 on Nexus4 (code name: mako)
Installation of this recovery can be made by either of the 2 methods that are listed below.
Using GooManager Android App
- Download GooManager Android Installable .apk
- Connect your device to the PC via USB data cable in Mass Storage mode.
- Copy and paste the downloaded GooManager_2.1.2.apk to your SD storage.
- Disconnect the device.
- Browse to the apk using a file manager and Install it.
- Open the Install GooManager App.
- Tap on menu and select “Install Open Recovery Script”. Tap “Yes” when prompted.
- Verify that it displays your device’s code name and tap “Yes“.
- The app will now download the recovery and flash itself.
Using Fastboot to flash
- Download the Required files [Download here]
- Power off your device and reboot into bootloader mode by pressing volume down + Power buttons altogether.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB data cable.
- Extract the downloaded “N4Files.zip” to your desktop. So now you have a folder named “N4Files” on your desktop.
- Open the “N4Files” folder. On an empty space, press shift key + right click and go to “Open command prompt here“.
- Type in CMD:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
- The process will take at most a 1-2 seconds.
- When done, use the volume buttons on your device to highlight “Recovery” and press the power button to select it.
- Your device shall now successfully boot into TWRP.
You shall now begin to Install Custom packages on your Nexus 4. Happy flashing! Any doubts? Post’em here!