You can now install the Global Stable version of MIUI 10 on Redmi 5A using stock or TWRP recovery. Download MIUI 10 ROM based on Android Oreo from below and install on your Redmi 5A.
When it comes to Android smartphones, most phones that aren’t flagship devices are quickly forgotten by the internet. Especially budget devices sold in India like the Xiaomi Redmi 5A. In a country like India though, these are popular devices amongst most users. Xiaomi probably knows this and this is why they remember to provide these phones with the latest version of their MIUI software if not the latest Android version.
The company had already updated the Redmi 5A and the Redmi 4A with MIUI 10 Global Stable updates. However, those updates were based on Android 7.1 Nougat. Xiaomi is now rolling out another MIUI 10 update for the Xiaomi Redmi 5A, this time it is based on Android 8.1 Oreo. Of course, it has been a few months since the release of Android 9.0 Pie, so Android 8.1 Oreo is already a year old. But you probably knew what you bought into going with Xiaomi and MIUI. The device was launched with MIUI 9 built on top of Android 7.1 Nougat.
MIUI 10 (Android 8.1 Oreo)
The Android Oreo-based MIUI 10 update is being rolled out to selected random users as of now. This update is technically a beta of the Global Stable ROM. But it should soon be available for everyone as a stable build if things go well. MIUI 10 packs in some cool new features, the best of which is the interface. It’s quite a bit like iOS 12 and Android Pie mixed together if that’s something you like.
One of the most original parts of this interface is the recents app screen. The new layout, the company claims, maximizes screen space, supports full-screen gestures, lets users swipe to delete tasks, etc. The new menu is designed to take advantage of the taller screens on smartphones these days with vertical scrolling.
Users will be able to take Bokeh depth-of-field shots without requiring a dual camera setup. The update also brings the use of AI to improve your picture taking capabilities with automatic scene detection and other things. It’s not very helpful. AI will also be used to determine a user’s app usage patterns thus helping them launch apps faster. The Chinese manufacturer calls this AI Preload, and it works also with native UI functions, not only apps.
Xiaomi does not provide an official changelog for beta releases so there isn’t a Redmi 5A specific changelog. We do have a general MIUI 10 changelog that should also mostly apply for the Redmi 5A.
- All-new full-screen gestures will change the way you interact with your device. They can do everything you used buttons for, except they’re faster, smarter, and more convenient.
- All-new UI is tailored for full-screen devices and lets the content take the front stage.
- You won’t get tired of natural and ever-changing sounds of MIUI 10
- We simplified system sounds and applied smart filters, so you’ll hear something only when you need to
- Ambient sounds of the forest, beach, drizzle, stove fire and summer night will help you to relax and focus on what’s important
- AI brings Portrait mode to single camera devices! Blur the background on your portrait shots and look as gorgeous as you feel
- Other system apps (including Clock and Notes) got a major revamp too
Download[btn title=”Download MIUI 10 Global Stable (10.1.2) for the Xiaomi Redmi 5A” link=”http://bigota.d.miui.com/V10.1.2.0.OCKMIFI/miui_HM5AGlobal_V10.1.2.0.OCKMIFI_423275627c_8.1.zip”]
Install MIUI 10 on Redmi 5A via System Updater
This method is for those who are running the official Android Nougat-based MIUI 10 firmware on their Redmi 5A and also have the stock recovery installed.
The only thing you need to take care of before installing this official update is that your device has at least 50% battery left. It’s better to have enough juice so as to prevent any accidental shutdowns which may leave your device unbootable.
Install MIUI 10
- Download the MIUI 10 ROM file from the link above and transfer the file to your device’s internal storage.
- Go to Settings > About phone > System update. Tap on the 3-dot menu button in the top right and select Choose update package.
- Select the downloaded MIUI 10 ROM and the system will start decrypting the file then install it automatically for you.
- Wait for it to finish the process, which may take 10-30 minutes.
Install MIUI 10 on Redmi 5A via TWRP
This method is for those who are running a custom ROM or even the stock ROM but with a custom TWRP recovery instead of the stock recovery.
You’ll need TWRP recovery installed on your device, obviously. We have a guide on rooting and installing TWRP recovery on the Xiaomi Redmi 5A that you can follow in order to install TWRP.
Install MIUI 10
- Reboot your device to TWRP recovery. To do this, power off the device first. With the device powered off, press and hold Volume Up and Power buttons until you see the Mi logo on-screen. A screen with a bunch of options should then appear. Select Recovery here and tap OK.
- Once in TWRP recovery, transfer the MIUI 10 ROM file to your device over an MTP connection if you haven’t already.
- If you’re running a custom ROM on your device, you’ll need to wipe it and fresh install MIUI 10. To do that, select Wipe > Advanced Wipe. Here, select the data, system, cache, and Dalvik cache partitions and swipe at the bottom to wipe them. When the wipe is complete, go back to the main screen. If you have the official MIUI 9 firmware installed on your device, you don’t need to wipe anything except cache, but it is also optional.
- Select Install on the TWRP main screen and then select the ROM file.
- Swipe at the bottom to flash the file.
- Once it is complete, tap on the Reboot system button that appears.