Though the Android Nougat is the latest iteration of the OS everyone is talking about, there are still many devices that are waiting to taste the good old Marshmallow. While the current flagships from Samsung started receiving the update as early as May, the older flagships got it much later.
If you own the T-Mobile Galaxy S5 (SM-G900T) and are looking for the stock-based and clean Marshmallow ROM with no extra modification while enjoying root privilege, XDA member muniz_ri has something that might be of interest to you. Moreover, by using his batch debloater script, you can also get rid of all unnecessary apps from TMO, Google, and Samsung.
The ROM provided below is based on the Marshmallow firmware version PE1 and after installing it with TWRP Recovery, you’ll have Android 6.0.1 on your T-Mobile Galaxy S5.
- A T-Mobile Galaxy (S5 SM-G900T) with root access and TWRP Recovery installed.
About the ROM: Must Read
- The above process will trip the Knox Warranty Flag counter.
- If you follow the procedure described below, the Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Recovery, and Bootloader of your Galaxy S5 will be updated.
- You don’t need to wipe anything before flashing the ROM because the process will automatically wipe all user data on your phone. It’ll be a good thing to backup your apps and data beforehand as a precaution.
Despite the fact that the tutorial has been written with utmost care, we don’t guarantee that the procedure is 100% risk-proof. A good tutorial requires a careful follower to be successful. Follow the guide at your own responsibility.
Preparations and Downloads
- If your T-Mobile Galaxy S5’s bootloader is locked, download one of the following ROMs according to your preference: G900T_PE1_Stock_Deodexed_Rooted_ROM.zip
- Download PE1 Bootloader file: G900T_PE1_Bootloader.tar.md5
- Then download PE1 stock Modem file: G900T_PE1_Stock_Modem.tar.md5
- Also, download Odin3_v3.11 from here.
- Make sure to enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy S5.
- You must have Samsung USB Drivers or Samsung Kies installed on your computer.
- Charge your device to ensure at least 60% battery power.
Install Rooted Marshmallow ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S5
Having downloaded the necessary files and made the other preparations, you can now proceed with the steps given below:
- Copy the G900T_PE1_Stock_Deodexed_Rooted_ROM.zip to your device’s internal storage on the external SD card.
- Reboot your Galaxy S5 into the TWRP Recovery mode by holding the Volume Up+Home+Power buttons for 4-5 seconds. Just as you see the T-Mobile splash screen, release the Power key but keep the other 2 keys pressed unless you see the recovery menu.
- Tap the Install button in TWRP, navigate to the ROM file and select it.
- Now swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation.
- When the installation is finished, go back to the main menu in TWRP and tap the Reboot button.
- Select Download mode under reboot options.
- Your device will reboot into the Download Mode.
- Now connect your phone to the PC via USB cable and launch Odin.
- Click the BL button in Odin and select the G900T_PE1_Bootloader.tar.md5 file.
- Now add the G900T_PE1_Stock_Modem.tar.md5 file in CP section.
- Uncheck the Auto Reboot option in Odin.
- Then hit the Start button to begin the installation.
- When the installation is finished, flash the Bootloader and Modem files again but this time, don’t forget to check the Auto Reboot option. Installing these files twice is just to avoid the possibility of a bootloop.
- Your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 will reboot automatically.
Please note that after flashing the bootloader file in Odin, your device will halt at the T-Mobile splash screen for a couple of minutes. Once your Galaxy S5 reboots successfully, you’ll be able to use your phone.
Should you have any issues after going through the steps given in the tutorial, or you need any help, feel free to drop us a comment below.