Here’s an exciting news for the Canadian Galaxy S5 users. Samsung has pushed a new firmware update to this device. Android 5.1.1 based firmware update has been released for the Canadian variant. This will take the device’s firmware to new build G900W8VLU1COI4.
Almost all the Galaxy S5 variants have been receiving this update over the air. So if you own the Canadian variant, then check for the OTA updates from About phone>Software Updates. However, if the update doesn’t show up in your About Phone, or you are unable to install this update over OTA, then here is a simple guide to upgrade your device to the latest available firmware. This is the same update that has been pushed by Samsung.
The procedure involves an Odin software, that makes flashing stock firmware on Samsung devices a lot easier. No much is known about this update or what additional functionalities come along with it, just that it’s 5.1.1 Lollipop based. It is certain that bugs fixes and stability improvements have been incorporated within this OI4 build.
Before we begin, make sure you have the perfect device and variant for this purpose. Let us guide you through the entire process.
- Make sure you have the perfect device and variant. This tutorial is suitable for only Galaxy S5 Canada SM-G900W8 variant from region TLS. This will install G900W8VLU1COI4 Lollipop 5.1.1 firmware on your device.
- Make sure you have fully charged your Galaxy device or at least up to 60% of the battery.
- Enable USB Debugging on your android phone.
- Make sure you have Samsung drivers installed on your PC.
- Download the 7zip software to extract the zip file to get the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Canada Galaxy S5 OI4 update:
- Koodo Mobile — Download | File: G900W8VLU1COI4_G900W8OYA1COI4_KDO.zip (1.39 GB)
- SaskTel — Download | File: G900W8VLU1COI4_G900W8OYA1COI4_BWA.zip (1.39 GB)
- Virgin Mobile — Download | File: G900W8VLU1COI4_G900W8OYA1COI4_VMC.zip (1.39 GB)
- Bell Mobile — Download | File: G900W8VLU1COI4_G900W8OYA1COI4_BMC.zip (1.39 GB)
- Rogers — Download | File: G900W8VLU1COI4_G900W8OYA1COI4_RWC.zip (1.39 GB)
- Telus — Download | File: G900W8VLU1COI4_G900W8OYA1COI4_TLS.zip (1.39 GB)
- Fido Mobile — Download | File: G900W8VLU1COI4_G900W8OYA1COI4_FMC.zip (1.39 GB)
- Other Carriers — Download
- Download | Odin3 v3.10.7
Backup Your Apps and Data
It is recommend that you backup your apps, contacts, messages, photos, videos and any other important data stored on the internal storage of your phone. Get some of our useful backup apps from the DroidViews archives. This will help you backup your device data easily. This process will also remove all your data and previous app as it would flash the entire firmware and replace the previous one.
Install Stock Android 5.1.1 Firmware Update on Canada Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8
- Download the Lollipop firmware for your Canadian Galaxy S5. If it is a zip file, extract it to get the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Now turn off your phone and boot it into the Download Mode. To do this, turn off your device and then press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons simultaneously for 2-3 seconds. When you see the warning screen with a yellow triangle sign, press the Volume Up/Down key to enter Download/Odin mode
- Download the required Odin.zip file and extract the file on your PC. You will get the Odin3_v3.10.7.exe file. Open it as administrator to get to the Odin window.
- Connect your Galaxy S5 to the computer using the USB cable.
- When you connect the device, the ID:COM port on Odin will turn Blue. You’ll also see “Added!!” message to indicate successful connection.
- If in case Odin doesn’t detect your phone, troubleshoot the following:
- Reboot your phone and turn off USB Debugging and turn it on again.
- Try reinstalling the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Try changing the USB cable and connecting to other ports.
- Now click AP button on Odin and add the firmware file (G900W8VLU1COI4_G900W8OYA1COI4_xxx.tar.md5).
- In the Options section, tick only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes. (Do not, in any case, check Re-Partition box)
- Before you proceed to firmware installation on Odin, make sure everything is set according to the screenshot.
- Now, click the Start button on Odin to begin with the installation.
- Once you get a PASS! message on Odin, your device will restart. It’s the green signal that indicates successful installation. In case you get a Fail! message, make sure you go through all the procedure carefully and consider the requirements listed above.
Once you successfully boot the firmware, you can now enjoy your Lollipop firmware.
If you come across bootloops, then this may occur sometimes when you have installed a new firmware. To solve this, remove the battery and then put it back in. Boot to Recovery by holding Volume Down + Home + Power. In Recovery, select “wipe data/factory reset” then select “Yes” This will delete all user data. Now Select Reboot to System. If you want a detailed tutorial for these steps, head over to the link below.
For detailed guide on how to install firmware on Samsung Galaxy device, get to the following link:
For queries, comment down below. If we have helped you, then like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.