Nvidia Shield is an 8 incher tablet that comes with top notch specifications. The devices is incorporated with it’s very own Nvidia chipset. The tablet’s main focus is on gaming and performance. Although released just last year, some of the devices still stays on Lollipop 5.0.1 whereas some on Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. However, in order to upgrade this device with the latest Android software, you will need a custom recovery like TWRP to flash a custom ROM with Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware.
Coutsey of device maintainer lj50036, the latest TWRP version is now available officially. The TWRP build 18.104.22.168 can now be directly installed from the official Teamwin website. There are no bugs reported as for now and the build includes all the features from TWRP.
Once you install a custom recovery, you are all ready for it’s development and tinker your device with mods, tweaks, custom ROMS and more. Moreover, you can flash the SuperSU package in order to gain root access on your device.
Before we begin you will need to unlock the bootloader on your device. Moreover, you need to setup adb and fastboot environment on your PC for this guide. If you are new to this process, then we will help you successfully install a custom recovery.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you root your device. We at DroidViews, are not responsible for any damage to your device whatsoever. We won’t be held responsible if you brick your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- Download | TWRP recovery for Nvidia Shield Tablet (File: twrp-22.214.171.124-shieldtablet.img (11.2 MB))
Backup Apps and Data
While this process shall not wipe any of your data, a backup is highly recommended. Once you install a custom recovery like TWRP, make sure you backup your system, data,etc. from the recovery. It will be helpful in case anything goes wrong.
- This guide is compatible with Nvidia Shield tablet only. Do not try it on any other devices or variants.
- Unlocked bootloader is required to install a custom recovery like TWRP on your device. Click here.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download the minimal ADB and fastboot tool from here (unzip it) or get the quick ADB and fastboot installer from here.
- Install USB Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.
- Go to Developer options and enable Allow oem unlock, if an option is available.
How to Install Official TWRP Recovery on Nvidia Shield Tablet
- Download the recovery image file. Extract if in case a zip file. Now transfer the file to your PC where you can easily locate it.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and fastboot on your PC. Also accept Always allow from this computer when you plug in the device for first time to enable USB Debugging.
- Now power off your device and unplug it from your PC.
- Boot into the bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button simultaneously for 5-6 seconds. When you see the bootloader screen, connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.(Choose fasboot if option is available) Alternatively, you can also issue the following command through your cmd or terminal, while connected to the PC in order to boot into the bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Navigate to the location where you have placed the recovery file. Rename the recovery file to a simple one, like recovery.img. While the folder with recovery.img file is open, hold shift key on keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
- Now issue the following command in the command prompt to check your device connectivity
- Now flash custom recovery. Issue the following command for that.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Custom recovery will now be installed on your device. Now boot your phone in recovery mode. You can do this by turning your device off and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time. Or you can simply enter the following command.
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Once into the recovery, you can backup your current ROM, data, EFS and more.
Once you have installed TWRP, you are all set to install custom packages onto the device’s system. Alternatively, while on Linux or Mac OS, you can issue “./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” command to flash the TWRP recovery.
For queries, comment down below. Like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.