Android Oreo 8.0, the latest version of Google’s mobile operating system was officially unveiled last week and it was initially rolled out to the Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel C, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P and the Nexus Player. Google also released the factory image of Android Oreo for these devices and enthusiastic developers are working to create custom ROMs based on Android Oreo 8.0 for popular Android devices.
The recent device to get the AOSP based Android Oreo 8.0 Custom ROM is the Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 was launched 4 years ago with Android Lollipop 5.0 which was the latest version of Android back then. Google promised that the device will get the update to Android Marshmallow 6.0 but thanks to the hard working developers, the Nexus 5 has come all the way up to Android Oreo 8.0.
But, according to Santosh M. the developer, the AOSP build for Nexus 5 based on Oreo is currently only in the Alpha stage and except WiFi, nothing else works as of now. This means that you cannot use this ROM as a daily driver. But you can definitely try it out to get a taste of the Android Oreo. You can follow the below guide to install Android Oreo 8.0 based on AOSP on your Nexus 5.
- Ensure that you have unlocked the bootloader on your Nexus 5
- A custom recovery like TWRP installed on your Nexus 5
- Make sure that your phone has more than 60% battery left
- Download the AOSP 8.0 ROM for Nexus 5 (Link mentioned in the download section)
In case anything goes wrong, you might end up with a bricked device. It is therefore advised that you do your research before moving ahead if you’ve never flashed a ROM before. DroidViews or even the developers of the ROM aren’t responsible for anything that happens to your device while flashing the ROM.
Install Android 8.0 Oreo Based AOSP ROM on Nexus 5
If you have installed TWRP on your Nexus 5, then follow the steps mentioned below to install the AOSP 8.0 ROM based on Android Oreo on your device.
- Download the ROM, Gapps and the Magisk zip files from the above links and then move them to the internal storage of your device.
- Now switch off your device and then reboot into the TWRP recovery.
- You could do this by holding the power and volume buttons for a few seconds until the TWRP recovery screen appears.
- Now go to Wipe And Format Option->Wipe Data, Cache And Dalvik Cache via recovery.
- Now go back to the main menu and then select install
- Browse for the ROM file you previously downloaded and then select it.
- Now swipe the button below to initiate the flashing.
- Repeat the same process to flash Gapps and Magisk individually.
- Once the process is complete, wipe Dalvik and cacheagain and reboot your device to boot into AOSP 8.0 on your Nexus 5.