LG G Stylo has an update available that will take its firmware from v10i to v10j. Both T-Mobile and MetroPCS variants have received these updates. Usually, rooted and modified firmware devices don’t get updated over OTA neither do they install manually through stock recovery. However, defying all odds, a developer named GameTheory has developed a zip file for this update that can be installed through a custom recovery.
This is good news for all those who want to update their LG G Stylo to the latest update without flashing the whole KDZ file. After you flash the update file, you can also root the firmware again by simply flashing the SuperSU package.
Before you proceed towards flashing the update file, make sure that you have either MetroPCS LG G Stylo (MS631) or T-Mobile LG G Stylo (H631) variant. This will update the firmware versions to MS63110j and H63110j respectively. Other variants won’t work. Moreover, if you’re coming from the flashable v10i zip then you must first flash the v10i KDZ and then flash the v10j zip. This update brings the Stagefright vulnerability fixes and other stability improvements.
- The available updates are compatible with only MetroPCS LG G Stylo (MS631) and T-Mobile LG G Stylo (H631). Make sure you have one of the two variants and a proper zip file.
- You need a Custom Recovery like TWRP installed on your LG G Stylo variant.
- You must have device drivers installed on your PC so that you can transfer the ROM update file to your device’s storage.
- You must fully charge your device or at least to 60%, as the process may take a while.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you root your device. We at DroidViews shall not be responsible for any damage to your device whatsoever. We are not responsible if you brick or damage your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
Backup your Apps and Data
Before you proceed, make sure you backup all your data. This process will wipe all the data from your device except for the internal storage. Hence, a full backup or nandroid backup is recommended. Also backup all your internal storage files just in case anything goes wrong. Take a nandroid backup from the custom recovery before flashing the ROM.
Files you need
- MetroPCS LG G Stylo (MS631) (File: MS631_v10J_9-22-2015.zip (1.1 GB))
- T-Mobile LG G Stylo (H631) (File: H631_v10J_9-22-2015.zip (1.1 GB))
- SuperSU v2.46
How to Update MetroPCS and T-Mobile LG G Stylo to v10j with TWRP Recovery
- Download the update zip file for LG G Stylo variant and SuperSU zip file from the download section.
- Now transfer the files into your device’s internal storage. Place the zip file where you can easily locate it.
- Now reboot into Custom Recovery (like TWRP). To boot into TWRP, press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time.
- It is highly recommended that you perform a nandroid backup. To back up your ROM, tap on backup option in TWRP and select the following elements: System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where appropriate, to back up.
- Go to the TWRP main menu or home screen again and tap on Install option. Navigate to the ROM update file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation. The ROM update will be installed.
- Now again return to home in the TWRP and tap on Install option. Navigate to the SuperSU zip file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation.
- Once installed, reboot to system.
Once you see the LG logo and boot animation, that means you have installed it successfully. If you come across bootloop or system errors, you can restore your previous ROM from the TWRP backup. For queries, comment down below.