Android custom development is what makes our devices look unique and interesting every day. If not for rooting and installing beautiful ROMs and mods, Android would also be a closed ecosystem just like iOS and Windows operating systems. The HTC One M9 is a powerful beast and there is no denying it, but users tend to root their device to unleash the hidden power inside the mighty beast. However, the OEMs see it the other way and warn us with annoying warning messages on the splash screens.
You might have observed that the bootloader unlocked HTC One M9 displays a Red developer purpose warning text on the bootsplash screen. This red text appears on every boot and annoys us as if we have committed a huge crime. However, our developers always manager to find a way to get rid of the manufacturer’s restrictions and other junk. Luckily, the Sprint HTC One M9 users can remove red text from their boot screen, the credit to this mod goes to schmeggy929 of XDA.
In this method, we will flash the patched HBOOT file on the HTC One M9 which will get rid of the warning text. However, this method is only for the Sprint HTC One M9 device with the firmware versions 1.32.651.30 & 2.6.651.11. Moreover, to flash the HBOOT, you need to S-OFF your HTC M9 first. Without any further ado, let’s see how to remove red text from Sprint HTC One M9’s bootsplash screen.
- Make sure your Sprint HTC One M9 is S-OFF’d. If you have not done this yet, you can easily S-OFF your Verizon M9 using Sunshine app.
- Install HTC Sync or HTC USB Drivers on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone from Settings> Developer options.
- Download and extract the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool on your PC: mfastboot-v2.zip
- Download patched HBOOT for Sprint HTC One M9 with Firmware version 2.6.651.11
Remove Red Text from Sprint HTC One M9
- Download the patched HBOOT Zip for your firmware version. If you don’t know your device’s version number, navigate to Settings » About Phone to check.
- Navigate to the folder where you’ve extracted the ADB & Fastboot files and open a command prompt by pressing Shift + Right-click on any empty space inside the folder and select Open command window here from the context menu.
- Reboot your HTC One M9 into Fastboot mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons for a few seconds till the screen turns up and the phone shows the bootloader screen. Using the Volume Down button to highlight the FASTBOOT option and select it by pressing the Power key.
- Now connect your device to the PC using a USB cable and issue the below command in the command prompt:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
- Now type the below command to flash the HBOOT Zip file from the fastboot mode. Choose the command based on your firmware version, for users on firmware 1.32.651.30, type the below command:
fastboot flash zip Sprint_M9_Red_Text_Removed.zip
If you’re on firmware 2.6.651.11, execute the below command
fastboot flash zip 2.6.651.11_Red_Text_Removed_Aboot.zip
- In case if you see any message asking you to reboot or flush, then reflash the file again using the command mentioned in Step 5.
- If the phone reboots automatically, follow the procedure from Step 3 again.
- Once the flashing is successful and you receive a success message, you can reboot your device with the below command.
That’s it. On the next reboot, you will notice that the Red text has disappeared from the bootsplash screen. Let us know if you have any issues during the process.