Since the Google event “breakfast with Sundar Pichai” took place yesterday in San Francisco, a lot has changed and we’ve stepped into a whole new world. From the Introductory release of the new Nexus 7 to Jelly Bean 4.3 release and Chromecast. Something here that goes common and worldwide is the release of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, of which everyone has been eagerly waiting, especially the Nexus users like me. The Source code for Jelly Bean 4.3 was already pushed while the event was on-going and just a few hours later, the Factory Images of the same started to push to the Google servers.
Most of us here (like me) can’t wait anymore for the OTA update and so I myself updated by flashing my Nexus 4 with the latest factory image. Was quite easy, but not for all the users out there. Just, if you don’t know how, read the instructions and update your Nexus easily. The update is out only for the Nexus smartphones and tablets, and so are these instructions.
- The Instructions are for Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. Do not attempt to try this on any other device, or you might just lose it
- Read and understand every word before performing the action
- DroidViews or any of its community member will not be held responsible for any damage to your device. Do at your own risk.
Unlock Bootloader First!
The process needs your device’s bootloader to be unlocked. Follow the guide link below.
- Nexus 4 Guide: Unlock Bootloader, Install CWM and Root
- Unlock Bootloader, Root, Install CWM & Galaxy Nexus
- Root, Unlock Bootloader and Install CWM on Google Nexus 7
- Unlock Bootloader, Root, Install Custom Recovery on Nexus 10
- You’re going to lose all your data on the device including the internal storage. So back everything up.
- Google USB Drivers
- At least 60% battery power to avoid uncertain shutdowns during the process
- ADB and Fastboot binaries
- WinRAR or any other archive manager Installed
- USB Debugging enabled
Instructions to Flash JellyBean 4.3 Factory Image
The Instructions are similar, the only thing that differs is the file names. Make sure to download the file mentioned for your device only and use appropriate names as per delivered to you. Make sure to replace the file names in step #7, 9 & 11 according to the once delivered for your device in the Factory Image package.
- Download the factory Image (See Downloads below)
- Right click on the downloaded file and select Extract here. A folder will be created with all the files.
- Open the folder, press Shift key and right-click on any empty space. Select Open Command Promt here.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Reboot into bootloader by typing the following command:
- adb reboot bootloader
- Clear the device partitions using the following commands:
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata
- Flash the Bootloader, type:
fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader_file_name.img>
- Reboot the bootloader (necessary), type:
- Flash the Radio, type:
fastboot flash radio <radio_file_name.img>
- Reboot the bootloader again, type:
- Flash the ROM Image file, type:
fastboot -w update <ROM_file_name.img>
The last command shall take a bit longer for completion, kindly wait for it to complete. As soon as it is done, the device will reboot itself into the very new Jelly Bean 4.3.
Rooting Jelly Bean 4.3
- Download the latest Jelly Bean 4.3 supported Super SU Root package (See Downloads below)
- Connect your device to PC via USB data cable
- Drag the downloaded UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip to your device storage on a secure location that is conveniant for you to remember
- Open CMD Window and type:
adb reboot recovery
- The device will reboot into the recovery (CWM/TWRP/PhilZ) mode.
- In CWM, go to Install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard. Select the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip and tap on Yes to flash it.
- In TWRP, go to Install. Select the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip and slide the button to flash it.
- In PhilZ, go to Install Zip > Choose zip from sdcard. Select the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip and tap on Yes to flash it.
- Once flashed the root package, reboot your device.
Download the Factory Images:
- Nexus 4 [occam-jwr66v-factory-08d2b697.tgz]
- Nexus 7 WiFi [nakasi-jwr66v-factory-d341d356.tgz]
- Nexus 7 GSM [nakasig-jwr66v-factory-aebc7b11.tgz]
- Nexus 10 [mantaray-jwr66v-factory-888d124e.tgz]
- Galaxy Nexus [takju-jwr66v-factory-c2ef855e.tgz]
- SuperSU Root Package v1.43 [UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip]
Enjoy the new and improved Jelly Bean on your beloved Nexus. Comment with your Reviews, suggestions or queries. We’ll come back with new stuff. Stay tuned! Stay viewed! With DroidViews.