Sony had left the Sony Xperia SP users with utter disappointment by not providing the KitKat update on the Xperia SP Smartphone. The device is more than capable of running the KitKat flavor of Android smoothly, but the company just shut down the gates for the updates. With no word on the further update stream, the Xperia SP users are looking forward for other Custom Roms which will provide a change from their current JellyBean OS.However, Furrydaus of XDA developers community has lifted the hopes by porting the Firefox OS to Sony Xperia SP.
Yeah, you heard it right! Firefox OS ported to Sony Xperia SP. The port is based on Cyanogenmod 10.2 and gives the experience of Firefox OS on Android. Firefox OS from Mozilla aims on providing a intuitive user interface on low cost devices without compromising the speed of the device. This is an initial build of the Firefox OS on the Xperia SP with basic functions like 3G data, messaging, WiFi, bluetooth etc… but stumbles with few bugs including
- Non-functional LTE
- Buggy Camera
- Headphones doesn’t work
- MTP doesn’t work.
If you’re not worried about these minor bugs and want to taste the essence of Firefox OS on your Xperia SP, then let’s get on with the simple guide on how to get this port on your device.
This guide involves flashing a custom rom on your Xperia SP, which may void the warranty on the device. You alone are responsible for any consequences that might occur during the process. DroidViews or any of its community members shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device.
- Charge your Xperia SP above 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging: Link
- Install Required USB Drivers: Link
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app.
- Working ADB and Fastboot on your PC → Click Here
- Any Custom recovery on your device for flashing Roms.
INSTALL FIREFOX OS ON SONY XPERIA SP
- Download the OTA Flashable Zip file, 20140712_ffos_huashan_OTA.zip and transfer it to the external SD card on your Xperia SP.
- Also, unzip the OTA file on your PC and copy the boot.img file to the folder where you have the fastboot files installed.
- Navigate to the fastboot files folder and Open a Command prompt there. (Press Shift + Right Click and then select Open Command Window here)
- Boot your device into the Fastboot mode. For this:
- Switch off your device and wait until proper shutdown.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button.
- Plug the USB to the PC in the first hand and then connect the device to your PC using a USB Cable while holding the Volume Up button on your Xperia SP.
- This will boot you to the fastboot mode and the Notification LED light turns into Blue.
- Type the following command in the command prompt.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Now boot your device into the recover mode by start pressing either the Volume UP or Volume Down key a couple of times while the system is booting up.
- Flash the 20140712_ffos_huashan_OTA.zip from the recovery.
- Reboot the device once everything is done.
That’s it. Upon booting you’ll get your first glimpse at the Firefox OS on your Xperia SP.
Leave your feedback regarding the guide in the comments section below.
- How to Guides