Factory images for all Nexus devices are available on the Google developer page. The latest addition to the list is the tech giant’s newest flagship phone, the Nexus 5X. The device comes with Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware out of the box and OTA updates have already started showing up on the Nexus 5X. The latest firmware update, at this moment, is the MDB08I. So if you have not received it yet or don’t want to wait long for the OTA to hit your device, then this tutorial will get your Nexus 5X to the latest firmware build.
Moreover, if you have modified your stock firmware or have rooted your device, then there are chances that you may not receive the update over the air. In order to install the latest available firmware on your Nexus device and restore your device to stock, flashing factory image is the simplest option available. If you have installed a custom ROM then this will help you revert back to everything stock.
Here, we have listed the latest factory image available for the Nexus 5X and using this tutorial, you can flash any version of the factory image on your device. Make sure to backup everything before you proceed. Let’s begin with the tutorial.
Warning: We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. A full backup is highly recommended. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- Nexus 5X Factory Image MDA89E
- Nexus 5X Factory Image MDA89F
- Nexus 5X Factory Image MDB08I
- Factory Images for all Nexus devices
How to Install Factory Image on Nexus 5X
This procedure will install the factory image on your Nexus device. It will restore your firmware to stock with stock recovery. All of your apps and data will be lost. So make sure you backup everything before you proceed.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download the latest Android SDK Platform-tools for Mac or Linux OS.
- Install Nexus USB Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.
- Go to Developer options and enable Allow OEM unlock.
- Download the factory image from above and transfer it to your PC.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and fastboot on your PC. Also, accept Always allow from this computer when you plug in the device for the first time to enable USB Debugging.
- Now power off your device and unplug it from your PC.
- Boot into the bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold volume down/up and the power button simultaneously for 5-6 seconds. When you see the bootloader screen, connect your device to the PC using a USB cable. (Choose fastboot option if available) You can also issue the following code while connected to the PC, to boot into the bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once you boot into the fastboot mode, plug in your device to the PC and let the drivers install.
- Navigate to the location where you have placed the factory image file on PC and extract it to get files with .img extension.
- While the folder with the extracted factory image is open, run the flash-all.bat file on Windows PC and confirm the flashing process. Wait for the process to complete. If you use Linux or Mac OS, run the flash-all.sh file and follow the instructions.
- Once done, reboot the device normally. Once you see the new boot logo, that means the system has been installed successfully.
First boot may take a while, so be patient. If necessary, you can unlock bootloader on your Nexus 5X from the tutorial given below.
If you need to lock the bootloader, simply issue the command “fastboot oem lock“, while your device is connected.
For queries, comment down below. If we have helped you, then like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.