The Motorola Droid Razr is a giant among Android phones. If you own this device and would like to experiment with different custom ROMs on it, you will have to root it first and install ClckworkMod Recovery on your device first. ClockworkMod Recovery is a very special tool that has revolutionized our experience with our Android device. It is a wonder tool can backup and restore your current ROM, install updates, flash a patch, create a new partition of the device storage, install kernels, flash a new ROM, and lots more.
This tutorial has been devised to help you install the CWM Recovery tool on the Motorola Droid Razr. Before you proceed, please note that rooting or installing a custom ROM is quite a risky thing. It will void the warranty of your device and might brick it too. Follow the guide at your own responsibility.
Note: Rooting your device makes it eligible for the ClockworkMod Recovery to be installed on it, so root it first. Read our easy tutorial:
Make sure that you have already rooted your Motorola Droid Razr. If not, follow the link above.
- You must have a respectable battery level left on your device, so charge it first (at least to 70%).
- Take a backup of all important data stored on your device (like contacts, SMS, apps, etc.), so that you might restore them later if needed. Apps like Titanium Backup and these can assist you with this.
- Do not forget to enable ‘USB Debugging’ mode and ‘Unknown Sources’ on your device: Settings> Applications> USB Debugging> check the box.
- Download the ‘RazrBootstrap.apk’ and copy the file to the root of your phone’s SD Card: Download
- Also download ‘RAZR-CWMOnBoot-Global-J.Y.Daddy.zip’ and copy it to the root of SD Card: Download
Installing ClockworkMod Recovery:
- Open the File Manager on your device and install the ‘RazrBootstrap.apk’ you copied earlier.
- Open the app and select ‘Reboot into Recovery. This will boot your phone into Recovery Mode.
- Here you will find a set of options. Select ‘Install Zip from SDCard’ and locate the ‘RAZR-CWMOnBoot-Global-J.Y.Daddy.zip’.
- Confirm the choice by selecting ‘Yes’, and wait for the installation to finish.
- When the installation finishes, select ‘Reboot System Now’.
- Now go to the list of installed apps on your phone and open the ‘Super User’ app. Here you will have to configure the status of the ‘RazrBootstrap’ app to ‘Denied’ (must do it).
This done, reboot your Motorola Droid Razr. Done! Please note that your device will boot into recovery mode each time you reboot it. Select reboot option to boot the phone normally. In case, the device is caught into a bootloop, just press and hold the Power+Volume Down buttons simultaneously for about 5 seconds to skip it.