Windows has undergone a major shift in terms of both UI design and other behind the scenes technicalities since Windows 7. Every update ever since, including Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows 10 Anniversary update has brought with it some new bugs. It is not surprising that a lot of users don’t want to leave the comfort of using Windows 7. MTP connection problems have been one of the biggest headaches for users after Windows 10, especially after the Anniversary Update. The error messages you may get might be something like “MTP USB Device driver failed”, “MTP USB device not installing”, “MTP not recognized” or Code 28. If you’re one of these users, we have some tips to fix MTP driver installation on Windows 10.
It is a well-known problem and Microsoft has already released an update that should supposedly have fixed the issue. But in case it hasn’t, for you, before we jump into the nitty-gritty of things, I’d recommend that you try the following:
- Switch USB Ports – Most of the times using another USB port works, especially switching between the USB 3.0 port to USB 2.0. Try this even if the port was working a moment ago.
- Switch USB cable – Sometimes, using another USB cable can also fix the problem.
- Restart the PC – Often, a nice and sweet reboot is all it takes for a PC.
Fix MTP driver Installation on Windows 10
If none of the above medicines worked for your Windows 10 machine, you will need to perform some operations. It’s not as bad as I made it sound.
Don’t miss: Download Latest ADB and Fastboot for Win/Mac/Linux
1. Install wpdmtp.inf
- Press and hold the Windows Key and while holding it, press R. Type %systemroot%\INF in the box and hit Enter.
- Alternatively, you could just use the file explorer and manually go to C:\Windows\INF
- Type wpdmtp.inf in the search bar provided to the right of the address bar in Windows 10.
- wpmdmtp.inf is a file related to MTP and installing it manually can possibly resolve your issues, especially when you have previously seen the error message “A service installation section in this INF is invalid“.
- Right-click on the wpmdmtp.inf file and select Install. Click Yes if asked, “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”
- It should go rather quick and once it’s done try connecting your MTP device again.
2. Install the MTP USB Device Driver
- Press and hold the Windows key and press R. In the run dialogue box that opens, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. This will open the device manager.
- Alternatively, you can also press the Windows key and type Device manager to search for it.
- Expand Portable devices and find your device. If you can’t, try looking under Other devices as well because it is under that for some users. Also, make sure your MTP device is connected to your PC, otherwise it won’t show here.
- Right-click it, and choose Update Driver Software.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- From the options presented, select MTP USB Device, and click next. Follow the installation wizard to install it.
3. Download and install the Media Feature Pack
This update is primarily meant for N and KN versions of Windows 10 which do not offer the Windows Media Player as well as some related technologies to the end user. In some cases, installing the Media Feature Pack might solve the issue as well. All you have to do is download the appropriate update from Microsoft’s Website, install it and reboot your PC. If your PC is 64-bit, download Microsoft-Windows-MediaFeaturePack-OOB-Package_x64.msu which is a 108.9MB package otherwise download the 72.4MB package named Microsoft-Windows-MediaFeaturePack-OOB-Package.msu.
You don’t necessarily have to follow all of the aforementioned methods and most probably any one of the above three methods will solve your problem. Pick anyone you are more comfortable with.
Did any of these methods help you? Do let us know.
After a LOT of searches and no usable solutions, the suggestion to reinstall the wpdmtp.info driver solved the problem. Thank you!
Glad to know!
Thanks 1 worked for me
thanks! 2 worked for me.
Did not work. I get Code 10 when I try to update the driver in the Device Manager.
Method 1 “Install wpdmtp.inf” worked! Thanks
Glad to know!
Cheers, method 1 worked beautifully
nothing of this works….. even when file is introduced in correct folder, the forced signature check is removed, still cannot be installed for some reason… windows 10 sucks!