HTC One M8, the current flagship of HTC is a visual treat for the smartphone lovers. We really were impressed with the craftsmanship of the M8, a beautiful metallic design and compact build truly shows the premium quality of the device. The HTC M8 also drew a lot of developers attention and many custom Roms popped up with in weeks of its release. Deciding between the heap of awesome Roms is hard, but what if we say that you can multi-boot several Roms?
Right from the inception, Android smartphones were never meant for multi-boot. But as the result of many developers’s hardwork, we are now getting mods that can replace the original boot-loader of the device. However, as any experimental feature you can expect a few bugs and little sluggishness, but it’s a little price to pay to enjoy multiple Roms simultaneously on our device.. Today we are going to guide you through the process on how to boot multiple Roms on your HTC One M8 using an wonderful mod called MultiRom.
MultiRom is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod originally designed for the Nexus devices. But the M8 developers ported the mod to their devices and offered it all the HTC M8 users. The MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose which ROM to boot. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery which can be accessed in the same manner as you always do. You can also use nandroid backups as secondary ROM.
The MultiROM mod is compatible with both the internal and external storage of your device. During the installation, you can choose the default installation location.The FAT32 supports only up to 4 GB partition, if you want to allot more space for the partition then format the SD card with another file system using a PC. If you’re ready with everything, let’s get on with the guide to install this Mod on your M8.
This guide involves flashing files using a custom recovery and using custom partitions, which may void the warranty on the device. You alone are responsible for any consequences that might occur during the process. DroidViews or any of its community members shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device.
- Charge your HTC M8 above 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app.
- The device mustn’t be Encrypted.
- Any Custom recovery on your device for flashing Zips. TWRP is recommended but CWM is also fine.
INSTALLING MULTIROM ON HTC ONE M8
The MultiROM installation process is a 3-step process, so follow the procedure carefully to get through the guide without any hassles.
STEP 1: INSTALL MULTIROM
- Download the MultiROM mod for the HTC One M8 → Click Here
- The downloaded file will be in a Flash-able Zip format that can be flashed using any recovery.
- Reboot your device into Recovery mode. You can use a reboot manager app to reboot into the recovery mode:
Reboot Manager (*ROOT*) Price: Free
- Now flash the MultiROM package in the recovery.
STEP 2: INSTALL MODIFIED TWRP RECOVERY
- Download the Modified TWRP recovery for the HTC M8
- This modified TWRP recovery is tweaked for MultiROM mod and can be flashed using a recovery.
- Reboot your device into Recovery mode.
- Now flash the Modified TWRP package in the recovery.
STEP 3: INSTALL PATCHED KERNEL
- Download the patched kernel that is applicable for your device. (Only the base ROM needs to be patched with the kexec-hardboot)
- Stock GPE insecure (4.4.4):
- Stock GPE (4.4.4):
- Stock Sense insecure (4.4.3):
- Kernels for AOSP Roms:
- Verizon M8 devices:
- For NuSense 6 follow santod040’s thread
- For Elite Lunar follow buckmarble’s thread
- Checkm8 AOSP
- The kernel images will be either in the Zip format which can flashed using a custom recovery or in a image format which should be pushed using Fastboot commands.
- You can follow our Zip file installation guide to flash these kernel Zips using custom recoveries → Click Here
That’s it, you can now use the MultiROM on your HTC M8. Now, you need to know how to multi-boot using this mod.
UPDATE/ CHANGE THE ROMS
Primary ROM (Internal)
- Flash ROM’s ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed.
Note: This process won’t erase secondary ROMs on your device.
- In TWRP recovery, go to Advanced -> MultiROM and do Inject curr. boot sector.
Secondary Android ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it or add new one follow these steps.
- Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
- Select Flash ZIP and flash ROM’s ZIP file.
If you want to un-install this awesome mod, follow the below process to remove the mod and all the secondary ROMs along with it. (We’re very sure that you won’t want to uninstall this cool mod)
UNINSTALL MULTIROM MOD
- Download the MultiROM uninstaller for the HTC M8 → Click Here
- The MultiROM uninstaller can be installed using a custom recovery, in this case you’ll do it from the TWRP recovery.
- Reboot your device into Recovery mode. You can use a reboot manager app:
Reboot Manager (*ROOT*) Price: Free
- Flash the uninstaller package from the recovery menu.
It’s a lengthy guide, right? But we were sure that you don’t regret after everything is done.
Leave your feedback in the comments section below.