Rolling into the past is a beautiful experience where you’ll get to recollect all the memories and the fun you had back in the time. Considering the globalization and the busy & stressful lives we are living, getting lost into the dreams and recollecting the past is the best thing that may happen in the entire day. But to the contrary, when it comes to technology, you’ll never like to go back to the old lives with puny gadgets which have no great capabilities. Don’t pretend that you still happen to love the ridiculous hardware in the older devices of yours.
Current day Smartphones pack the most advanced and latest features that will make your life smoother. Every option in your smartphone is once a standalone gadget itself like the MP3 player, FM, Camera etc.., but now you get all of them in one single device which is awesome. WiFi tethering is one such feature that will let you share the data connection in your device with the other devices. So you don’t really need to subscribe to different data plans on different devices to suffice the data needs of yours. That’s quite a feature, right?
The WiFi Tethering which is commonly called as the WiFi Hotspot is found almost in every Android device. The Android OS is know for its compactness and flexibility, however, corporate intervention is tearing the freedom of the Android users into pieces by putting restrictions on the features of the Android OS. Almost all the US carriers like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile are putting restrictions on the carrier locked devices making them unable to use the WiFi tethering option unless the user is willing to subscribe to a data pack that supports tethering. If Android is considered God, this is Blasphemy in all sorts.
Even the Samsung’s current flagship Galaxy S5 is no exception to this. However, developers are not the one to dance to the tunes of the corporate world, they always try to break the tiny barriers the companies impose. Today we are going to see, how to enable the native WiFi Tethering on AT&T and T-Mobile Galaxy S5 by using a simple mod developed by cstayton of XDA.
This Guide is intended only for the T-Mobile and AT&T Galaxy S5 devices, not for any other variant or device of Samsung. Be extra cautious when you choose the mods as flashing wrong mods might result in a bricked device.
Installing this mod may void your device warranty either temporarily or permanently. This mod is tested only on the AT&T Galaxy S5 but is supposed to work on the T-Mobile device as well. You alone are responsible for any consequences that might occur during the process. We shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device.
Your Galaxy S5 must have a custom recovery to flash this mod. If you’re not having any custom recovery on your device, follow the TWRP guide for Galaxy S5 from the below link:
PREPARE YOUR DEVICE
- Charge your Galaxy S5 above 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app.
ENABLE NATIVE WIFI TETHERING ON AT&T AND T-MOBILE GALAXY S5
- Download the WiFi tether mod TetheringProvision_Patch_V2.zip and transfer it to the SD card using a USB cable.
- Reboot your device into Recovery mode. The standard procedure to enter recovery on Galaxy S5 is to Turn off the phone then hold the Volume Up+Home+Power buttons together for 3-4 seconds. Alternatively, you can use a reboot manager app:
- Make sure to take a nandroid backup before flashing the mod, just to make sure that the device is safe in case of any misfortune.
- Now tap the Install button and select the TetheringProvision_Patch_v2.zip file from your SD card.
- When the installation is finished, wipe dalvik cache.
- Once everything is finished, go back to main menu and select Reboot> System.
Once the device boots up, navigate to the device settings and configure the WiFi hotspot feature. Then you can start enjoying the WiFi tethering feature after long suppression from carriers.
Let us know of any issue in the comments section below.