After a long wait, Android 7.0 Nougat is finally here. After an even longer wait, the update has arrived for the Nexus 6P. If you enrolled in the Android Beta Program, a lot of this isn’t news to you. But if you haven’t, then a lot of this is shiny and new.
But what if the bugs are just a little too much for you, or you miss the features that custom ROMs gave you with Android Marshmallow? With 7.0 being new, custom ROMs are on the horizon. But with no ETA, you may be wondering just how to go about moving back to 6.0.1 Marshmallow without bricking your device. For some, there have been a few issues preventing a clean restore.
Thankfully, the process isn’t that difficult and within no time you’ll be back on your favorite custom ROM with 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
Downgrade Nexus 6P from Android Nougat to Marshmallow
To go back to Marshmallow, this is what you’ll need to do:
- Download the proper vendor.img for the version of Marshmallow your custom ROM is using.
- Download the appropriate Marshmallow ROM and Gapps of your choice
- Boot into TWRP.
- Flash your vendor.img with TWRP’s native image flashing tool.
- Reboot back into recovery and perform a full wipe (Make sure any important data is backed up).
- Flash your Marshmallow ROM.
- Reboot and Enjoy!
It is essential that you have the appropriate vendor image and wipe everything when going back to Marshmallow from Nougat. Without doing so, you face the risk of bricking your device permanently.
Hopefully, this helps and you’re back on your feature packed Marshmallow ROM!