The HTC One X is a flagship device by the Taiwanese giant HTC. It belongs to the category of Android superphones or ultimate devices. The device was first announced on February 26, 2012, at the MWC. Soon after its launch, it became one of the hottest gadgets. HTC One X features Sense 4.0 UI, an NVIDIA Tegra, a 1.5 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU, 1 GB of RAM, Bluetooth 4.0, and 32 GB of internal storage. All these and many other features make the One X a favorite Android device.
If you own this amazing device and want to make it more amazing and enjoy more speed, space, and freedom, you must get it rooted first and choose a good custom ROM for it.
If you search for ROMs for your device, you are sure to get confused. It is often very difficult to select one ROM out of hundreds. To help you select a good ROM for your HTC One X, I am giving you a list of top ten ROMs that can make your experience with your One X better.
“There is nothing good or bad but thinking makes it so.” (Shakespeare)
The best is always one. The reason why I am giving you a list of ROMs is this: every ROM is different from others. So you might like one thing of a ROM but dislike others. Just read the features of each ROM listed below, and compare them with that of others to find the best one for you.
1. Clean ROM 4.5 Final
The reason why the CleanROM 4 is on the top of our list, though it is not a countdown, is that it is an all inclusive ROM without compromising with any features of the stock firmware. It is based on the latest Asian 220.127.116.11 RUU which is Android 4.0.4 and is ODEXED! The removeal of all bloatwares makes it not only lighter but smoother and faster too. Moreover, you also get a number of customization options for system settings.
Features of the Clean ROM 4.5 Final:
- Very close to the stock ROM
- Very fast, smooth and stable.
- Dark themed with a fresh look.
- Added multitasking button toggle in settings
- Quick Settings option integrated into the Status Bar
- Advanced Power Menu
- No boot sound, Jellybean Boot Animation, Sounds, and wallpapers and many more custom wallpapers
- Comes with a number of flashable add-ons to enhance features.
How to Install:
- You must install twrp Recovery with unlocked bootloader before you flash this ROM. Flashing with CWM Recovery might cause serious issues.
- Copy ROM file to the SD Card of your device.
- Turn on USB Debugging Mode on the device.
- Reboot device into Recovery
- Wipe data/Factory Reset in Recovery.
- Install ROM and Aroma installer will start.
- Choose Standard, or Lite Edition (with removed apps like Dock Mode, Polaris Office, Jetcet Printer, HTC Hub, and Notes, Google +, Google Books, Google Music, etc.) installation
- When the installation finishes, reboot device. Done!
2. MIUI ICS ROM for HTC One X
Updated: Every Friday.
MIUI is one of the most popular Custom ROMs available officially for a number of Android devices. Today most devices can have unofficial MIUI ROM. The MIUI ROM is an imitation of the iOS in a wider sense and is based on CyanogenMod Kernel. Personally, I like this ROM most because of the availability of thousands of free themes and many other features not found in the stock ROM and custom firmwares. It is a nice blend of beauty and functionality. With every update, MIUI is becoming a more amazing ROM and a good choice for Android device owners. Check out the latest video from Xiaomi to know how nice the ROM is:
Well, you can choose from a number of MIUI ROMs available in different languages, or modified versions developed by individual developers. To check if the MIUI ROM is available in your native language, visit the link and click on the flag of your country if it is present there. If you can’t, download the English version of the ROM from MIUI Android. If you want to install a custom MIUI ROM on your One X with extended features, you can try the RD-MIUI ROM.
Note: I also make themes for MIUI V4 (ICS). Check out our huge collection of latest MIUI themes.
3. Nocturnal Xi40 ROM for One X
Nocturnal Xi40 ROM for One X is a heavily stuffed ROM with a plethora of customization options and free productivity apps that make your One X even smarter. Below is a list of features/apps that come ready-made with this ROM.
- Based on 1.89.841.9 Nocturnal’d
- CoreDroid Tweaks
- Fully Odexed
- Optimized APK’s for better Speed and Performance!
- SMS Backup/Restore
- Multitasking mods
- Multiple APN’s Rogers, AT&T, Telstra and Generic, more to come
- LTE Toggle
- Change battery icons
- Miui Battery Mod
- Optional Miui launcher
- Optional Miui LockScreen
- AOSP Lockscreen Option
- Quick Settings
- Advanced Power Menu
- Sony xLoud Engine
- Sony Bravia Engine
- Removed Bloatware
- Android 4.1 JellyBean Animations integrated
- Core Tweaks
- Aroma Installer with the following options:
- Optional Google Apps
- Desense The Rom from installer
- Miui Mod
- Install Custom Boot Animations
- Install Custom Fonts
- Use Stock Theme
- Use Custom Theme
- Use ICS AOSP Theme
- Glass Dialer – Rayford85
- Sony PSP Live wallpapers
- Titanium Backup
How to Install:
- Download the ROM file in .zip and copy to phone’s SD Card without extracting.
- Boot your One X into Recovery
- Wipe system
- Wipe cache
- Select “install zip from sd card” option
- Follow the options in the Aroma installer
- Finally, reboot system. Done!
Download Nocturnal Xi40 ROM for One X
4. CyanogenMod 9 Beta for One X
CyanogenMod 9 ROM is the ICS version of one of the most popular and widely liked ROMs for Android. Though the CM9 is not available yet officially for the One X, you can still enjoy it. Thanks to the TeamNdvru. When the ROM was released first in Alpha state, it was a little unstable and full with bugs. But now it is impressively stable and fast. This is a non-Sense ROM that is dressed up with pure Ice Cream Sandwich. The ROM is updated on a regular basis. It is a good choice if you like nude ICS.
How to Install:
- Unlock Bootloader on your device
- Install ClockworkMod Recovery
- Create a Nandroid backup!
- Wipe Factory/reset data
- Wipe Cache Partition
- Wipe Dalvik Cache from Advanced options
- Install the ROM
- Install the Google Addons (optional)
- Download boot.img as well,
- Boot into bootloader (adb reboot bootloader). Use fastboot and ‘fastboot flash boot boot.img’ through USB to have the correct kernel/boot image. Otherwise, it won’t work/boot.
- ‘Fastboot erase cache’ is recommended if you have booting issues
5. Jellybean 4.1.1 for HTC One X AOSP Build
Jelly Bean is the most advanced version of the Android OS. If you want to enjoy the cool features brought about by the JB update on your HTC One X, is the best choice and worth giving a try. The ROM has been slightly modified by XDA member Tom Gascoigne.
How to Install:
- Download the ROM and GApps in .zip format (do not extract) from the links provided below.
- Copy the files to the root of your devices SD Card.
- Boot your HTC One X into CWM Recovery mode.
- Create a backup of your current ROM, so that you can restore it later if anything goes wrong, or if you wish to return back to it later.
- Wipe Data/Factory Reset and Cache Partition.
- Go to Advanced option and wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Select: “install zip from sdcard> choose zip from sdcard” and install the ROM file.
- When it is installed, come back to the main menu.
- Now you will have to flash the GApps. To do this, select “install zip from sdcard>choose zip from sdcard” again.
- This time select the GApps file.
- After installation, go back to the main menu and select “reboot system now”.
- Done! Enjoy!
The post will be updated when I come to know of any other good ROM for the HTC One X.
Editor’s Pick: How to Install APK Using ADB Commands