Drawbacks like cheap build quality and slow performance can be taken for granted in a low or mid-range device, but it is unforgivable in any high-end device that boasts of GHz of RAM and processor. All such lavish specs sound no more than gimmicks when they do not come up to a user’s expectation.
I have a number of Galaxy devices like S2, S3, Note 2 and Note 10.1 and despite of all goodness, my general impression about TouchWiz is not satisfactory. I got the Galaxy S4 a week ago and I expected that Samsung would have resolved the TouchWiz lag in the new “Life Companion” but it disappointed me again. However, the new TW does show a little improvement over the previous versions.
Anyways, if you own a mid-to-high-end Galaxy phone or tablet device and are not happy with the terrible performance of the TouchWiz UX, here is a small trick that will help you improve its performance and make it faster than it is in its default state.
I am not sure what really makes TW so laggy but some recent probes have disclosed that the use of heavy graphics and UI animation effect might be playing major role in it. To make TouchWiz respond faster, you can try the following trick. I have tested it on Galaxy S3, S4 and Note 10.1 and it really works.
- Open your Galaxy device Settings.
- Scroll down to Developer Options.
- In case you have Galaxy S4 or any Galaxy device with Android 4.2 or up, you’ll not be able to see Developer Options under Settings until you enable it. Here is the tutorial to enable Developer Options.
- Okay, now tap on Developer Options and scroll down to the following options:
- Windows animation scale
- Transition animation scale
- Animator duration scale
- Tap all the 3 options one by one and set the Animation Scale configuration either OFF or to 0.5x (for less animation effect).
- Besides, you can also try turning “Force GPU Rendering” option ON by checking the box (avoid this step if you play 3D games on your device).
- Finally, you can free some more RAM by setting your device to kill any activity as soon as you leave it. To do this scroll down to “Do not keep activities” option and select it.
You job is done now! Leave the Settings interface and play with the TouchWiz UI. You should now experience significant improvements in the lag-delays and enjoy faster response on your Galaxy phone or tablet. Let me know if it works for you and do not forget to share your experience with us here.
Also try this app: