Hello people, a very Happy New Year to all of you!
For those who aren’t aware of what AOKP is, here is a little bum for you:
AOKP or Android Open Kang Project is one of the most popular aftermarket firmware distribution for Android devices. It is a whole new track of features and looks, that are based upon the Android Jellybean source code. Provides fair justice to stability, performance and graphical customization.
As already promised by the AOKP team, the 4.2 Jellybean based ROMs are now up with download links for selected Nexus devices. These include Nexus 4 (mako), Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (grouper), GSM Galaxy Nexus (maguro) and Verizon Galaxy Nexus (toro). As per the Team website, the upcoming devices to join the league will be Galaxy SII, SIII & Note. And so shall the releases will be back on track providing weeklies and nightlies.
Do visit the AOKP website for more info, mirror downloads and build changelogs.
- ClockworkMod Recovery Installed
- Appropriate USB drivers
- Compatible USB data cable
- A PC with unlimited Data connection
- The Instructions below are universal, all that differs is the way to reboot into recovery mode. I will mention these here itself.
- To boot Nexus 4 & Nexus 7 into recovery mode power it off. Now press volume down and power buttons altogether until you see the bootloader screen. Use the volume buttons to highlight “Recovery” and select it using the power button. Your Nexus 4 will now boot into ClockworkMod recovery.
- To boot GSM and Verizon Galaxy Nexus into recovery mode, power it off. Now press volume down, volume up and power buttons altogether until you see the blue recovery screen. Your Galaxy Nexus will now boot into ClockworkMod recovery.
- Downloads should be made according to your device from the links mentioned on the bottom of this post.
- If you haven’t rooted and installed CWM on your Nexus 4, follow this guide.
- If you haven’t rooted and installed CWM on your Nexus 7, follow this guide.
- If you haven’t rooted and installed CWM on your GSM & Verizon Galaxy Nexus, follow this guide.
- Download the ROM flash able zip package [Links at the bottom of this post]
- Download latest Gapps zip package [Goo.im]
- Connect the device to PC in USB storage mode via data cable.
- Transfer the downloaded files in step #1 & #2 to your device’s storage root (not in any folder, for your ease).
- Disconnect the device.
- Reboot into recovery mode following the procedure mentioned in the “Notes” above.
- Tap “wipe data/factory reset” and select “Yes”.
- Tap on “wipe cache partition” and select “Yes”.
- Go to “mounts and storage” > “format /system” & “format /boot”.
- Go to “advanced” > tap “wipe dalvik cache”.
- “Install zip from sdcard“> “choose zip from sdcard”. Select the ROM zip package placed on the root of your storage and select “Yes” when prompted to initialize the flashing process.
- When the ROM has flashed successfully, flash the Gapps package over the ROM in the same way as you just flashed the ROM.
Everything is done now! Tap “reboot system now“. You shall now boot into AOKP 4.2 ROM. Enjoy!