Rooting your device, installing custom recoveries, kernels, ROMs and using root-only apps on your device is the routine of any Android enthusiast. If you look down the rope, it all starts with unlocking the bootloader of the device which gives access to hidden modes. HTC is one of the OEM which has a transparent unlocking process and allows all its users to unlock their device’s bootloader at will.
Unlocking a bootloader will gives access to fastboot, download modes on your device which will let you flash factory images, custom images to modify the device’s files. So, you can replace the futile stock recovery with an advanced custom recovery which in turn allows you to flash the custom kernels, ROMs on your device. Today let’s see how to unlock the bootloader on the HTC’s mighty One M9.
Unlocking your device’s bootloader will erase all the data on your phone. Perform everything on your own risk, we shall not be responsible for any misfortunes.
- Make sure to charge your device to at least 60% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns during the process.
- Install proper drivers on your PC, if you haven’t installed already follow our guide: Install HTC drivers
- Enable USB Debugging on your device to use ADB commands while you’re connected to PC.
- Download and extract the minimal ADB and Fastboot tool on your PC: mfastboot-v2.zip | Mirror
- Backup any important files in your Internal storage as everything will be wiped.
- Register an account on HTCDev.com
How to Unlock Bootloader on HTC One M9
- Login to your account on the HTCDev.com website.
- Open the bootloader unlock page → Click here
- Now select All Other Supported Models from the drop down list.
- Click the Begin Unlock Bootloader button to start the process.
- Navigate to the folder where you’ve extracted the ADB and Fastboot files and open a command prompt by pressing Shift + Right click on any empty space inside the folder, and select Open command window here from the context menu.
- Connect your HTC One M9 using an USB cable and boot into the download mode using the below command:
adb reboot download
- In the command prompt, type the following command and press enter:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- This command will display a long token on the command screen. Copy this token by Right clicking on an empty space and select Mark and highlight the block of text starting from <<<< Identifier Token Start >>>> and ending with <<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>. Right click again on the highlighted text to copy it.
- Now visit the following link → Click here. Paste the copied token directly (don’t copy it in notepad and then paste here) in the place where it says My Device Identifier Token and click on Submit button.
- If everything went good, you will receive an e-mail from HTC Dev with a file Unlock_code.bin attached to the e-mail. Download it and paste it the folder where you extracted the ADB & Fastboot files.
- In the command prompt, execute the following command:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- A screen might appear on your phone now asking you to confirm the Bootloader unlock. Use Volume Up button to highlight Yes and select it using Power button.
- Your HTC One M9 will now reboot and the bootloader will be unlocked. You can confirm it by booting into the bootloader mode where it will show *** UNLOCKED *** at the top of the screen.
Now you’ve opened the doors to the awesomeness on your HTC One M9, carefully enjoy all the power hidden inside the beast.
Let us know of any queries in the comments section below.