The Moto X Pure 2015 has just been launched and the official TWRP is already available for it. Although the development for this device is at its initial stages, and not many custom ROMS are available at this moment, you can still root it and get the privileges like install root only apps, Xposed framework and more.
Although the TWRP recovery is officially available, the root process is not yet tested at this moment. The usual method to root is to flash the latest SuperSU package by chainfire to your device. This method may just as well work for the Moto X Pure 2015 XT1575, as the root process for Moto X Play.
Hashbang173, the device maintainer of Moto X Pure, has successfully developed a way to support TWRP for the device and it is also available on the official website of TWRP. This tutorial will guide you through the TWRP installation process that involves the usual ADB and fastboot process. If you are new to the process, we will guide you through it.
Warranty may be void if you root your device. We at DroidViews, are not responsible for any damage to your device whatsoever. We won’t be held responsible if you brick your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
Download | TWRP 22.214.171.124 for Moto X Pure 2015 XT1575 (33.3 MB)
Download | SuperSU v2.46
Backup Apps and Data
While this process may not wipe any of your data, a backup is highly recommended. Once you install TWRP, backup your system, data, etc. from the recovery. It will be helpful in case anything goes wrong.
- Unlocked bootloader is required to install a custom recovery like TWRP. Get to our tutorial to unlock bootloader on Moto X Pure.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download the minimal ADB and fastboot tool from here (unzip it) or get the quick ADB and fastboot installer from here.
- Install Motorola USB Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.
- Go to Developer options and enable Allow oem unlock.
Install TWRP and Root Moto X Pure 2015 XT1575
- Download the TWRP and SuperSU files from the download section and transfer them to your PC. Also place the SuperSU package file into your device’s internal storage.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and fastboot on your PC. Also when you enable USB Debugging for the first time, accept Always allow from this computer when you plug in the device for first time.
- Now power off your device and unplug it from your PC.
- Boot into the bootloader. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button for 5-6 seconds.
- You will see the bootloader screen. Now connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Navigate to the location where you have placed the TWRP file. Rename the recovery file to a simple one, like recovery.img (however, this is optional). While the folder with recovery.img file is open, hold shift key on keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
- Now type the following in the command prompt, to test the recovery type.
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Now flash the TWRP recovery. Use the following command for that.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- TWRP recovery will now be installed on your Moto X Pure 2015. Now boot your phone in TWRP recovery mode to root your device. You can do this by pressing and holding volume down and power keys.
- Once into the TWRP recovery, you can backup or nandroid backup your current ROM. It is highly recommended that you backup.
- Now return to the TWRP home screen and tap Install and navigate to the SuperSU file in your device’s storage and select it.
- Confirm the swipe operation at the bottom to install the SuperSU package.
- Once the installation is complete, reboot to system.
Now you will have root access on your Moto X Pure 2015 XT1575 and a custom recovery. If you come across any problem or the device doesn’t boot, you can always restore the stock ROM from the backup. For any queries, comment down below.