This has been a great year for Android enthusiasts as it brought some high quality yet affordable smartphones. One such smartphone is the Moto X Pure as in the US and known as Moto X Style in the international markets. Moto X Style/Pure Edition is a budget phone with some astounding specifications. It comes with the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update and it will be one of the first devices to receive the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update.
If you own this device and want to unlock the bootloader, to take the first step into its development, then this tutorial will help you do so. New devices need to accept the unlocking agreement from their manufacturers in order to unlock their devices and the procedure has been made secure with a unique bootloader unlock code for every device. This method has been tested on Moto X Pure Edition and Style still needs to be tested.
Moreover, this process may factory reset your Moto X and you may lose your data in the process. Hence, it is highly recommended that you backup all your apps and data before you proceed. If must agree to all the terms in the tutorial to get your bootloader unlocked.
Unlocking bootloader on Moto X Style or Pure Edition may void the warranty. Once you login to Motorola’s website and request the unlock code, you may no longer be eligible to claim warranty. Moreover, we at DroidViews, are not responsible for any damage to your device whatsoever. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
- Install Motorola USB Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.
- Go to Developer options and enable oem unlock.
Unlock Bootloader on Moto X Style / Pure Edition
- Make sure you have setup ADB and fastboot on your PC.
- Power off your device and keep it unplugged from your PC.
- Boot into bootloader. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button for 5-6 seconds.
- You will see the bootloader screen. Now plug in your device to the PC.
- Navigate to the location where your ADB and fastboot is installed. While the folder with ADB and fastboot files is open, right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
- Now type the following in the command prompt to get a code
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Copy the code that is shown and paste it somewhere like a notepad. Right-click on the top of the window (title bar) and click Edit->Mark then highlight the code and right click on the title bar and do Edit->copy.
- Once you have copied the code. Go to Motorola’s page and click Unlock Bootloader.
- Accept the agreement and login/create an account to get the unlock key.
- Paste the code from the command prompt and click “Can my device be unlocked“.
- Agree to terms and click “Request Unlock Key” which will send you an email.
- Once you get the email with your unlock code, type the following in command prompt and replace YOURKEY with the key from the email.
fastboot oem unlock YOURKEY
- This will unlock your bootloader. Reboot to system.
Now you have an unlocked bootloader on your Moto X Style / Pure Edition. Your device is now ready to flash custom Recovery. For any queries, comment down below.