Did you know Snapchat has 363 million daily active users across the world? The platform is evolving more than ever and it only seems to be winning.
The site is especially unique for its snap feature that allows users to share snippets of their lives and everything that goes on it with their friends and family.
Therefore, keep reading the article to make yourself more aware.
Learning The Basics
- Chat: A messaging feature that allows one to text each other and carry out one-on-one conversations with them via Snapchat.
- Camera icon: Snapchat is used as a camera replacement by many. Hence, you should know where the camera icon resides. The button on the home screen that allows users to have access to the camera via which people can take videos or photos.
- Friends list: This list showcases all of the people you’re connected with on Snapchat.
- Snaps: One of the most crucial features of Snapchat, especially among the younger generation, snaps can be either photos or videos, sent daily to a list of friends. These snaps are to be viewed for only a short period as they can disappear quickly.
- Unopened snap: Such a snap refers to the one that is yet to be opened by the recipient. An unopened snap stays there in the chat box until viewed.
- Profile: Just like one has a profile on other social media platforms like Facebook, and LinkedIn, you also have a profile on Snapchat. And this profile will include a display name, profile picture, and other relevant information a user feels fit to share.
- Buttons: These various buttons include the send button, the interface button, or the button to add a friend.
- Snapchat username: Among the profile display, you will also have to choose a unique username that will represent your personality. This username will be chosen when you’re setting up the Snapchat profile.
Understanding the above-mentioned features and terms is extremely important for effective communication that revolves around easy navigation. You can also go through some useful tips to have a smooth Snapchat experience.
What Does The “X” Mean On Snapchat
The X symbol on Snapchat appears when one of your friends or users removes you from their friend list on Snapchat. And the same is applied when you remove someone from your chat box. The person’s name will be accompanied by an X, which indicates that the user in question is no longer connected and isn’t your friend anymore.
The symbol that is placed next to the friend that has been removed can either be because you accidentally removed them or you did it on purpose. However, in its true essence, the symbol is an indicator that the other person has taken action to remove the friend in question.
The symbol helps the user keep track of the name of accounts, friends, and users that they have removed, either consciously or unconsciously. This also makes it easier for the user to connect with those that are still added to their Snapchat friend list.
It should also be kept in mind that removing a friend on Snapchat is a one-way action. This means that the friend who is removed will not be notified that they have been removed. In case you have accidentally removed the friend, you’ll have to re-add them to connect again, send snaps, and text with each other.
Other Snapchat Symbols
Besides the X symbol, Snapchat also showcases a set of other symbols used for different purposes.
Some of the most common Snapchat symbols and their explanation is as follows:
- Screenshot icon: Whenever someone else takes a screenshot of your snap, which can be either a video or photo, an icon appears on the screen alerting you that the recipient has taken the screenshot.
- Pink heart: When you have been sending and receiving snaps to and from a specific friend for at least two weeks, their name will be accompanied by a pink heart.
- Purple icon: Whenever you send a snap, it takes the form of an icon and whenever a snap or a video is sent with a sound, the icon that’s usually red, turns purple.
- Grimace: When two people share the same best friend on Snapchat, a grimace-like symbol appears next to the friend’s name. This happens when the three friends have a mutual connection with each other.
- Gold heart: This heart will appear beside the name of that friend that you have been snapping for at least two months straight consecutively without any break of any sort.
- Red heart: Red heart symbolizes a friendship that has been continued for at least two weeks straight and both these friends are each other’s number one best friends for quite some time now.
Besides these symbols, Snapchat also uses a variety of features to keep on top of the trend. Lenses, and upgraded filters that the users can use on their videos and photos to enhance the quality and aesthetic. If you don’t know what lenses are, in simple layman’s terms, they’re augmented reality filters that can modify the appearance of the user to a great extent. On the other hand, these filters are overlays that allow the users to add text, borders, and other effects on photos and videos. To use any of these features, either the lenses or the filters, all you have to do is simply swipe left or right, after taking a specific video or photo on Snapchat. You can use the lens while clicking a picture or recording a video too.
Efficient communication and navigation on the platform depend on being familiar with Snapchat’s fundamental features and icons.
Other symbols, such as pink and red hearts, denote the longevity and intensity of a friendship, while the X symbol shows when someone has been deleted from your friend list. Additionally, Snapchat provides users with a variety of tools like lenses and filters to improve their images and videos.