Lenovo launched the latest smartphone in the Lenovo K Note series which has been popular among the power users who like to have big screen size. The latest smartphone in this series from Lenovo is the Lenovo K8 Note and this smartphone was launched earlier this year as the flagship smartphone in this series. Now, the smartphone comes with a 5.5-inch screen along with a 4000mAh non-removable battery. Apart from that, the smartphone comes with Lenovo’s custom skin on top of Android 7.1 Nougat.
Now, the smartphone was just launched by the company but the users around the world have already started to customize the smartphone to their liking and one of the most effective ways to customize the smartphone is by changing Stock ROM on the device and installing any Custom ROM on the device so that we can get various new features on the phone along with the latest version of Android if available. Also, we have seen that there are some Custom ROMs available for the Lenovo K8 Note that is based on Android 8.0 Oreo and even Android 8.1 Oreo. Thus, if you want to install any Custom ROM on your smartphone then you need to Unlock the bootloader first, install any custom recovery like TWRP and optionally root your smartphone also in order to get root access.
Now, this can be a tricky task for some as the process of rooting and unlocking the phone is not straight-forward. Thus, we have added the complete tutorial along with each and every step below so that you can unlock the bootloader, install twrp recovery and root Lenovo K8 Note.
- You need to have ADB and Fastboot installed on your PC for this tutorial. If you want to follow step by step guide to install the same then you can follow our guide to Install ADB and Fastboot on Windows
- Also, you will be required to have at least 50% battery or more in order to proceed with this tutorial
- It is also recommended that you take a complete backup of your data that is currently present on the Lenovo K8 Note as this process will completely wipe the data which cannot be restored afterward.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Lenovo K8 Note
- You have to enable Developer options on your Lenovo K8 Note first of all by going to Settings -> About -> Software Information -> More and tap on the build number 7 times and the developer options will be shown in the Settings list.
- After that, go to Settings -> Developer options and enable OEM Unlock option from the Developer options.
- After this, connect your smartphone to the PC via a USB cable and open the window where you have installed the ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Inside the ADB installation window, press Shift + right-click and open Command Prompt window.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
- After this, your phone will reboot into fastboot mode and you have to type the following command in the Command Prompt window once again
fastboot oem unlock [Note that the above command will wipe all the data on your phone so proceed after taking a backup]
- You may be asked to unlock bootloader or not and you should proceed with Yes.
- After this, your bootloader will be unlocked on the Lenovo K8 Note
Steps to Install TWRP recovery on Lenovo K8 Note
- First of all, you will have to re-open the Command Prompt window by Right-Clicking in the folder where you have installed ADB and Fastboot if you have closed the Command Prompt window after installing TWRP
- Once the Command Prompt Window is opened, connect your smartphone to PC and enter the following command to boot your device into Fastboot mode
adb reboot bootloader
- Once in Bootloader/Fastboot Mode, rename the TWRP image file that you downloaded from above to recovery.img and type the following command in the Command Prompt Window
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- After the flashing process is completed, the TWRP recovery will be installed on your Lenovo K8 Note.
Steps to Root Lenovo K8 Note
- Now, you will have to boot into TWRP recovery mode on your smartphone which you have installed from the above tutorial.
- To do this, press Power and Volume Down at the same time for 2-3 seconds to boot into recovery mode and TWRP will be opened on your Lenovo K8 Note.
- Download SuperSU or Magisk zip file from the Downloads section and transfer it to your Lenovo K8 Note via a USB cable.
- Now, you will have to install this zip file by clicking on Install inside TWRP and selecting the zip file.
- Once selected, swipe to flash the zip file and the installation of SuperSU or Magisk will be completed in a few seconds.
- After this, reboot to system and your smartphone will reboot few times which is normal and then your smartphone will reboot to system
- Now, you will have a SuperSU or Magisk app in your app drawer and you can open the app to see if you have proper root access.
- Once checked, you will have unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP and rooted your Lenovo K8 Note.