Since the debut of its very successful Galaxy S line of smartphones, Samsung has started to branch out in the past couple of years. Now, they aren’t just offering premium flagship devices that cost a small fortune. If you’re on a tight budget but want a good smartphone, you have alternatives to the premium solution offered by Samsung. This year, the Korean manufacturer has brought out a new line of Galaxy A devices. This line is aimed at the mid-range consumer and is designed to fulfill the needs of the tech savvy customer with a lighter wallet.
But what is the new handset all about? Many are wandering if these mid-range alternatives are alternatives in the true sense of the word, and if it is worth it to invest in them. To help you get a better idea of what’s coming in 2017, we are going to take a look at what Samsung is preparing for us with is Galaxy A5 handset. Keep in mind that there are already devices with the A3, A5 and A7 branding out. The new ones will be refreshed variants of the 2016 releases.
The phone’s screen is probably the singlehandedly most important feature of the device, since it’s the one element everyone constantly looks at. On this handset, we have a 5.2 inch full HD screen that uses Super AMOLED technology. It provides a max resolution of 1920 x 1080, and comes with the “always-on” feature.
Under the hood
- Starting with the software, the Galaxy A5 2017 features Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, accompanied by Samsung’s own TouchWiz skin;
- Moving down to hardware we have an octa core processing unit in the form of an Exynos 1.9 GHz chip;
- The featured GPU is a Mali-T830 chip;
- The two are supported by 3 GB of RAM, which is pretty decent considering most premium phones go for 6 GB;
- You will also have 32 GB of internal storage at your disposal, but through a microSD card you can bump it up to 256 GB;
- The camera combo consists of a 16 MP rear lens and a 16 MP front facing shooter. The rear camera has LED flash assistance;
- To keep everything running, Samsung supplied a 3000 mAh battery unit, which is non-removable.