If you own the Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite and want to root it, this guide is just for you. Just follow the steps described below to root Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite and install TWRP recovery on it.
Xiaomi has been known in the market for the intense amount of smartphones it releases every year, and 2018 has been one of the more polarizing years for the Chinese underdog – not only did it split into the Poco sub-brand, but there have been a host of devices with the flagship grade Snapdragon 845, all from Xiaomi. This includes the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S, Mi 8, Mi 8 Explorer Edition, the Blackshark gaming phone and lastly the Mi 8 Pro.
What we have here though, is a slightly lower-end version of the Mi 8, aptly named the Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite. Now when I say lower end, don’t push yourself away from the all-glass Mi 8 Lite, with solid internals such as the Snapdragon 660, a vibrant 6.26 inch IPS LCD display, coming in at a whooping FHD+ resolution, all for a budget price that is further complemented by the smooth MiUI it runs off of. However, if you do wish to do “more” with your device, here we have an unofficial version of TWRP Recovery for the device.
So if you are fully willing to flash the currently available unofficial version of TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite, this article is your one-stop-shop.
- To start off, make sure you have the latest version of ADB and Fastboot installed on your computer. If you don’t, then follow our guide to quickly install ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Ensure you have a device with an unlocked bootloader.
- Enable Developer Options by navigating to Settings > About Phone, and tapping Build Number 7 times. Head back to the Settings menu, navigate to Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- Even though the process will not affect your storage, we always recommend a backup. For an easy way to back up your entire smartphone, check out our top picks for backing up your Android smartphone.
- Lastly, ensure your phone is charged at least up to 60% battery to prevent any unforeseen shutdowns in the midst of the process.
Download TWRP Recovery for Mi 8 Lite
Note: For ease of access, rename the recovery image to “recovery.img”, and place it in the root folder of your ADB and Fastboot directories.
Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
- On your computer, navigate to the ADB and Fastboot folder and launch a command prompt window (right click while holding down the Shift key).
- Make sure you have all the drivers necessary installed, and connect your Mi 8 Lite to the computer.
- Type in the following command to ensure connection :
- If everything is good, you should see your device’s serial number in a second or two. Now, proceed to boot your phone in the bootloader mode by entering the following command :
adb reboot bootloader
- Type or copy/paste the following command in the cmd window:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- That’s all, if you’ve followed everything correctly, you should see your Mi 8 Lite boot up with TWRP Recovery instead of the stock one.
How to Root Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
- Boot into the newly flashed TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite.
- If you haven’t already, transfer the latest Magisk-v17.zip file to your device.
- In the TWRP main menu, tap on Install.
- Now navigate and select the Magisk-v17.zip you’ve just transferred on your device.
- Take a deep breath, and Swipe to confirm the flash.
- Head back, and tap on Reboot to system. The first boot may take a few minutes, so don’t panic.
That’s all! You’ve successfully rooted your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite! If you have any issues or queries regarding the article, then feel free to refer us in the comments below!
Don’t miss: Download Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 Stock Wallpapers