Google’s Pixel lineup of smartphones was announced in 2016 with the launch of Google Pixel and Pixel XL. As far as this new lineup is concerned, it is the successor to Google Nexus smartphone lineup. We have already seen two versions of the Google Pixel series launched namely the Google Pixel/ XL and the Google Pixel 2/ XL. Now, one of the most talked-about aspects of Google Pixel smartphones is its camera. It has been tested time and again and the Google Pixel 2 camera is still the best camera on any smartphone right now.
Also, we have seen that Google Nexus smartphones were the first to get latest updates of Android. Same is the case with Google Pixel lineup as well. We have known that Android P Beta has already been released for Google Pixel smartphones. In the US, Google sells the Pixel lineup in two different ways. One of the ways to purchase the device is from Google Store. The other way to buy Google Pixel phones in the US is from the Verizon network only. This is because Verizon is the exclusive partner to sell Google Pixel phones.
Now, Verizon does not allow unlocking bootloader on a Google Pixel smartphone for security reasons. However, Google Pixel users have been trying very hard for any method to work so they can unlock their devices. Thus, we have now received a working method to unlock bootloaders on Verizon Google Pixel/XL smartphones which we have posted below. Also, note that Verizon may patch this method too in the next update so unlock your device with this method as soon as possible.
- This method is tested to work only on the Verizon Google Pixel and Pixel XL devices. If you need to install TWRP and root your non-Verizon Google Pixel devices, read our guide from here.
- Ensure that your smartphone’s battery percentage is above 50% at least. This will make sure that the process takes place without hiccups
- You need to install ADB and Fastboot on your PC in order to continue with this process. Thus, make sure to read our tutorial to install ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
- Also, make sure to take a backup of important files from your smartphone. This will come in very handy as the bootloader unlock process will erase everything from your device.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel/ Pixel XL
- Read and follow the steps mentioned in Prerequisites section first of all. Once done, continue with the tutorial.
- Now, you need to remove your Google Accounts and any sort of security measures from your device such as PIN, fingerprint, pattern etc.
- After that, remove your SIM card from the device.
- Reset your device now and on the restart, make sure to skip each and every step in the setup wizard.
- Go to Settings -> Developer Options on your smartphone and enable USB Debugging
(Note: If you have not enabled Developer Options on your device, here’s how to enable it.)
- Now, connect your phone to PC via a USB Cable
- Open Command Prompt windows on your PC in the same folder where you installed ADB and Fastboot.
- In the Command Prompt Window, type the following command:
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone
- After the command is entered and executed, restart your device.
- On the restart, connect to Wifi and open any webpage inside the browser.
- After this, go to Settings -> Developer Options once again and enable “OEM Unlocking”.
- Now, switch off your device and reboot to bootloader mode by pressing Volume Down + Power button for some seconds.
- In bootloader mode, connect your smartphone and open command prompt window on your PC. Type the following command here:
fastboot oem unlock
- Once the command is executed, you will notice that the bootloader of your device has been unlocked.
Note that unlocking the bootloader is not the end, it is the first step in the customization process. Thus, you also need to install TWRP and SuperSU which we have detailed in the below section
Install TWRP and Root Verizon Google Pixel and Pixel XL
- Download the TWRP file attached for your device from the Downloads section.
- Now, shut down your device and press Volume Down + Power button to restart it into bootloader mode.
- Connect your smartphone to PC, open Command Prompt Window and type the following command:
For Pixel: fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-alpha1-fastboot-sailfish.img For Pixel XL: fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-alpha1-fastboot-marlin.img
- On entering the above command, TWRP will be installed on your device. Now, we will install SuperSU zip on your device to get root access.
- For this, turn off your device and enter recovery mode by pressing Volume Up + Power button, both at the same time, for few seconds.
- Inside TWRP, go to Install section and then select SuperSU.zip file downloaded from Downloads section above.
- After that, swipe to flash the zip file and you will get root access on your Verizon Google Pixel or Pixel XL.
- Now, the device will reboot automatically and it will have SuperSU installed which means root access has been granted.