Some of us are forcefully bounded to carriers; “not by will, but by luck“. Especially in case of such legendary devices like the HTC One, but hey! did you forget about XDA-Developer forums? Here we are specifically talking about Sprint HTC One (m7spr). Developers at XDA are always keen enough to put on their work online, to serve the public and let them relish every custom possibility of their device. The Sprint HTC One is heavily loaded with a Quad-core 1.7 GHz Krait 300 processor, Adreno 320 GPU, Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600 chipset, 2GB RAM and Android OS 4.1.2 JellyBean, and I’m sure that it would be very disgraceful to limit its possibilities to go far beyond.
To by-pass these boundations, you must root your device and Install a Custom Recovery, so in turn to flash a Custom ROM. We’re here today to guide you users with the very same in nice and easy steps, no matter you’re a new comer or an old geek. But, before we begin, you must perform some actions which are necessary for the process. Have a look below.
- The Instructions are device specific, don’t try this on any other device
- Read and Understand the Instructions carefully before performing any actions
- DroidViews Community or any of its member is not responsible for any damage to your device
Preparations To Be Done Before
- Unlock your device’s bootloader via HTCDev.com (Make sure to backup your device’s storage, because this process will erase everything)
- Install Android SDK [Link]
- Make sure 60% battery power to avoid uncertain shutdowns if the process goes long
- Install HTC USB Drivers or SyncManager
- Backup your device’s storage, messages, contacts and calender
- Download the custom package (DV_Sprint-HTC-One.zip) for your Sprint HTC One that has all the essential files
Install CWM/TWRP/Philz Custom Recovery on Sprint HTC One
A linux/ unix operating system employs a recovery and since Android being based on linux also has recovery. Clockworkmod/TWRP/Philz are secondary recovery systems which adds enormous features like wiping partitions, flashing flash able .zip files like ROMs, kernels, patches etc to the stock device recovery. So, if you’re interested in rooting your device, flashing a custom ROM, mods etc, you must flash a Custom Recovery first.
- Press the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. When the device boots, let go of the Power button for 1 second then hold it down again. Your device will now be in bootloader mode, use the volume keys to highlight Fastboot and choose it using the power button. Your device is now in Fastboot mode, ready to be flashed!
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable, while the device is in Fastboot mode.
- Unpack the DV_Sprint-HTC-One.zip to your desktop or any other suitable location
- Now, open the extracted folder “DV_Sprint-HTC-One“, press the shift key and right-click on any empty space inside the folder. Select “Open Command Prompt here” from the pop-up that appears.
- To Install CWM Classic 126.96.36.199, type the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-m7spr.img
- To Install CWM Touch 184.108.40.206, type the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-m7spr.img
- To Install TWRP 18.104.22.168, type the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-22.214.171.124-m7wls.img
- To Install Philz Recovery 5.08.5, type the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery philz_touch_5.08.5-m7spr.img
- You have now successfully flashed a Custom Recovery to your Sprint HTC One. Now, lets head towards rooting!
Root Sprint HTC One
Rooting is a process that allows any Android smartphone/ tablet user to gain root privileges over the android subsystem. Rooting not only helps in removing carrier limitations but also serves a purpose to change, remove or install operating system. If you’re interested in altering system files of your stock ROM or using apps that require admin permissions, rooting is what you need. In case you opt to use a Custom ROM, then you do not need to root your device using this method, every Custom ROM available is already rooted. Follow, only if you are willing to stick to the stock ROM.
- Download the SuperSU package [UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.41.zip]
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable and drag the downloaded SuperSU zip to the storage.
- Disconnect the device.
- Press the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. When the device boots, let go of the Power button for 1 second then hold it down again. Your device will now be in bootloader mode, use the volume keys to highlight Recovery and choose it using the power button. Your device will boot itself into the Recovery mode.
- In CWM, go to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard, select the zip and tap on Yes to flash it.
- In TWRP, go to Install and select the zip, swipe the button to flash it.
- In Philz Touch, go to Install zip > Choose zip from sdcard, select the zip and tap on Yes to flash it.
Once done, reboot your device and voila! your device is successfully rooted. Install root-requiring apps, mods etc.
To check whether the process has succeeded, download this very handy app.
And so this tutorial comes to an end, we hope you liked it and it came in useful for the Sprint HTC One users. You can now proceed oto find out the Best Custom ROMs for Sprint HTC One (m7spr) and flash them. Stay tuned! Stay viewed, with DroidViews! We’ll be back with much more stuff.